Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.
    Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

What is an FD filter?

When i bot my camera it came with a set of cheap filters. I have no idea what one of them is for. The only thing that it says on it is FD. The brand name is Digital Vision and and I can't find anything about the company on the net. It has a slight redish brown tint to it. I check B&H to see if they had anything like it and the closet I could find was an FL-D filter. According to the web site an FL-D filter is used when you wish to correct for the greenish tone that appears when shooting daylight film under general purpose fluorescent lighting. Could this be what I have? I have only used it once and it seems to have turned some trees to redish color. Here is an example:

Hyde Mill (inspired by Chunk)
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Re: What is an FD filter?

I don't think it's an FL-D filter, which was my first guess when I read the title of this thread. An FL-D is light pink - maybe about the color of pink lemonade. I guess I'm not sure what it is...

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    I don't think it's an FL-D filter, which was my first guess when I read the title of this thread. An FL-D is light pink - maybe about the color of pink lemonade. I guess I'm not sure what it is...

I will see if I can get a good image of the filter when I get home. Something that will show the color, maybe even take some sample shots to post.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Different company...

http://www.digitalfotoclub.com/sc/pr...p?id=964584347

FD filter:
    • Corrects color when shooting under fluorescent lighting, avoiding greenish effect.
    • Gives natural color to your images.

Quote Originally Posted by Chunk
    Different company...

http://www.digitalfotoclub.com/sc/pr...p?id=964584347

FD filter:
    • Corrects color when shooting under fluorescent lighting, avoiding greenish effect.
    • Gives natural color to your images.

Thanks Chunk. That's the same description B&H has listed for the FL-D filter.
    "An FL-D filter is used when you wish to correct for the greenish tone that appears when shooting daylight film under general purpose fluorescent lighting."
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

What I get from checking several eBay ads, is that they're one and the same.

FD, FL-D, and one maker even labels it FD-L. All are the 'Fluorescent Light' filters. (Strikingly similar to Freightliner model designations, too - FD, FLD, FLC, etc.)

Pretty commonly sold as part of a 3 filter set, in which it's paired up with a UV and a Polarizer.

The FL-D fluorescent light correction filter true-to-life color rendition by removing the harsh yellow-green cast ordinarily resulting from fluorescent bulbs.

If you shoot daylight balanced film under florescent lighting everything takes on a greenish tone. The FD filter removes/corrects the greenish tone.For me, FD filter is very important and I choose a quality and professional product for myself. I recently ordered an online Canon FD filter from the original online Canon Store and I do not regret it because I am confident in its quality. The only problem I encountered was the customs clearance of parcels. I do not understand anything in this area and my friend advised me to contact the professionals for help. This young team https://clearit.ca/online-customs-brokers was able to quickly and inexpensively solve all my problems with custom parcel delivery and my FD filter arrived in a few days. I am very grateful to them for this. I hope my post will be useful to you.

perhaps you `re right

FD filter: Corrects color when shooting under fluorescent lighting, avoiding greenish effect. Or maybe you mean ND? ND filters cut your light that enters the camera... so they are useful on bright sunny days when either you can't stop your aperture down enough, or you don't want to stop the aperture down to almost fully closed (in case you want a shallower depth of field for example).

A polarizer filter will cut reflections on glass so you can more easily film what is behind the glass instead of catching all the glare from the sun. It will also make a blue sky look deeper; most successfully if you film with the sun 90 degrees from your spot.

Hope this helps...

Very elaborate and insightful article. It gives me a fair amount of knowledge. It helps a lot for my work.

boxnovel

This is an interesting topic, I am also looking for something like that.

I choose dinosaur game because they will develop all sorts of interesting conditions, all the heavenly environments, of these, if you're still right with them, eventually your world will be built.

Thread Information