Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

What photo editing software to use???

I recently bought a new camera and now I need some software to help me do fine tuning. What is the best software to use? I've heard photoshop thrown around a bit is this the best software? Also how much does it cost including currency so I can convert it into Aussie dollars?

Gomm

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: What photo editing software to use???

Gomm,

Photoshop is the leader when it comes to photo editing software, but there are other players out there as well. I can't think of any off the top of my head but I'm sure others will mention them. I use Photoshop CS2 and I love it. It's not cheap tho, unless you can get the educational version. It's the same as the full version, but a fraction of the price. I got the full CS2 educational package for $200 U.S. The regular package is listed on Adobe's website for over $1000 U.S. You can also get Photoshop Elements (a stripped down version of the real thing) for about $100 U.S., maybe less. Elements doesn't have all the bells and wistles as the full program, but it is more than enuf to get someone started. That's where I would start if I were starting from scratch.

Did your camera come with any software?
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Photoshop is the industry standard for most photographers, but whether or not its the best is subjective. I would reccommend trying Photoshop Elements. It is by far cheaper and has most of the tools you would probably use Photoshop CS2 (much larger, much more expensive) I believe Elements retails for under 100 US, and have seen it as cheap as 50.

Hope this helps-Zack
    Hell, there are no rules here-- we're trying to accomplish something.
    Thomas A. Edison

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
    Thomas A. Edison

Too quick for me mjs...
    Hell, there are no rules here-- we're trying to accomplish something.
    Thomas A. Edison

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
    Thomas A. Edison

In Canadian dollars it is just short of $800. It is the best but there is quite a learning curve thrown into the mix. Corel Paint Shop Pro X is about $170 Canadian with a lot of features similar in nature to Photoshop with a lesser learning curve. Some photo enthusiasts start with this program and then consider, based on how much photography they do, whether and when to move up to Photoshop. Pixel Studio 2 is even cheaper, at about $39Canadian with tonal adjustments, histograms and other Photoshop like tools as well.

It really depends on your personal interest in photography, how many pics you take, and how much time, effort, and money you wish to put into fine tuning your photos? It is definitely a personal decision.

Ronnoco

The GIMP is 80-90% of Photoshop's power for a total cost of $0, not o****ing the internet connection used to download it. I strongly suggest you give it a try.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

I agree. Gimp is certainly worth trying too.

Ronnoco

As for me, I'm using MS Digital Image Pro 9. It's a pretty simple piece of software, and lacks a lot of bells & whistles that Photoshop has, but there's not much to learn. I recommend it as a starter. That said, the GIMP is excellent too, and as Sebastian pointed out----free.

I've been using Photoshop CS and recently looked into upgrading to CS2. I didn't read the fine print of the fine print, so I missed the point about not being able to upgrade only Photoshop since I bought the Creative Suite (at an educational discount). So, the upgrade is $350 instead of $150 to upgrade Photoshop and the programs I don't use - and more programs I probably won't use. When CS2 is upgraded, I'll have the same situation.

Not sure what I'm going to do yet but I won't upgrade at this point. Just be aware of this if you buy a full version of Photoshop.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnoco
    In Canadian dollars it is just short of $800. It is the best but there is quite a learning curve thrown into the mix. Corel Paint Shop Pro X is about $170 Canadian with a lot of features similar in nature to Photoshop with a lesser learning curve. Some photo enthusiasts start with this program and then consider, based on how much photography they do, whether and when to move up to Photoshop. Pixel Studio 2 is even cheaper, at about $39Canadian with tonal adjustments, histograms and other Photoshop like tools as well.

It really depends on your personal interest in photography, how many pics you take, and how much time, effort, and money you wish to put into fine tuning your photos? It is definitely a personal decision.

Ronnoco
    I can 2nd the Paintshop Pro recommendation.

However, I shoot RAW and use Nikon Capture to do all may RAW conversion along with basic adjustments (exposure, tone, white-balance, shadows, highlights, crop).

I use PSPro for those things that I don't think Capture does well (conversions, downsizing, special effects, noise reduction, sharpening, etc.).

I wouldn't worry too much about which package. Just get a good inexpensive comprehensive one, and learn it. Step up to a more powerful package later if you need to.

Good luck,
    Tim
    Samurai #17 |;^\

Thanks everyone for all your advice! My camera is a fujifilm finepix 9500 and it did come with some fujifilm software that does the basics (cropping, highlights, shadows, brightness, contrast, white balance and a few special effects). The full photoshop at over $1000 Australian seems quite a bit out of my price range for now anyway. I would like to know what things other than the basics can programmes like photoshop do anyway? Also where to you get GIMP from?

Gomm

Quote Originally Posted by gomm
    I would like to know what things other than the basics can programmes like photoshop do anyway?
    Gomm
    To answer this question Photoshop is a standard, so there are other plug-ins or additional programs that work with the photoshop format. For example, if you felt that you should have used a polarizing filter to take the shot, you may be able to add in the effect of the polarizing filter later using a plug-in from another company or from freeware or shareware.
    The bending distortion created by wide-angle lenses can also be "straightened out" by Dx0 Optics Pro or other plug-ins. Adding filtration colours or neutral density filters can bring out detail and enhance various areas of the photo as well.

Having said this, it really depends on your personal style. Some like to do it all with their camera and minimal post processing, sometimes because they are not terribly confortable using a computer. Others are more than happy to spend a lot of time in front of a computer to get exactly what they want out of a photo.

When all is said and done, it depends on the individual and their personal style and how they work with photography.

Ronnoco

Quote Originally Posted by gomm
    Also where to you get GIMP from?

Gomm
    GIMP is included as a package in most larger Linux distributions (you just have to know where to find it). I believe that you can also download windows installers for it as well.

It works great on Linux, but I haven't tried it on Windows. The main issue if you're doing you image manipulation on Linux is finding compatible printer drivers (or being savvy enough to write and/or port your own).

The newest Epson drivers available leave off at the Stylus 2000. There are none for any of the newer ones like the R1800 or R2400.

I think, though, that if you use the GIMP Windows installer, your existing drivers should work normally.

An update:

Go to: http://gimp-win.sourceforge.net/

All of the download instructions are there.

I just installed it (very easy), and it works just fine in Windows XP, although like everything else written for Linux, it can be a bit less user friendly than Photoshop etc.

For your time and effort, it may be worthwhile to pony up and get something like Photoshop Elements or Paint Shop Pro. My dad has been using Paint Shop Pro since it came out (I think there was actually a version for the Commodore 64) and has been very happy with it's feature set. Thus I think I can 3rd the support for PSP here.

On the subject of freebies, there's always Irfanview too. I've used it for years for a quick re-size, etc because it loads in about a second. Can't beat the price, anyway...

Corel Paintshop Pro X5 is about $70 on line. I think it's great. There are training webinars that teach the subtleties. But the basics are very easy to learn. I really like the program.

I use Paintshop Pro too. I can do just about everything I need to do with it. There are also lots of tools that Photoshop doesn't have but which do the same thing as Photoshop in the hands of a skilled user. If you don't have the time to learn advanced Photoshop techniques then the Paintshop Pro tools are a good solution
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

I bought a dslr recently and now looking for a software option. Thanks to all here for the advice.

I edit my photos very rearly but when I do I use only photoshop.

Lightroom 90% of the time and photoshop when I do HDR or have to retouch a corporate headshot.

Are their any good videos that teach PS

Quote Originally Posted by coolhand5599 View Post
    Are their any good videos that teach PS
    Thousands on youtube that are very specific as well.

Photographer and Graphic Designer

In My Opinion Nothing is better than Adobe Photoshop or Illustrator for any Photo editing task. I am a graphic designer and personally I preferable for using this during my task.

Thread Information