Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

EOS 10D, D60, or 1D?

I am in the market for a digital SLR this year, I love the digital format! I am currently leaning toward the 10D, but the price on the 1D is coming down, and the D60 saves me a considerable amount of money. I know there are few 1D s left new, and maybe no D60s left new. Used would be fine for me. I am concerned by the reported auto focus problems of the D60(slow) and 10D(inaccurate) but I wonder just how bad either problem is. The 1D offers a larger sensor, but fewer pixels. I know more pixels doesn't necessarily mean a better image, sensor size has a big part in the equation.
    I shoot landscapes, and some wildlife. Any opinions are appreciated.
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal. --Ernie Gann--
    What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. --Oscar Wilde--

Sitting in a Leaky Dingy Michael Fanelli's Avatar

Well...

Quote Originally Posted by EOSThree
    I am in the market for a digital SLR this year, I love the digital format! I am currently leaning toward the 10D, but the price on the 1D is coming down, and the D60 saves me a considerable amount of money. I know there are few 1D s left new, and maybe no D60s left new. Used would be fine for me. I am concerned by the reported auto focus problems of the D60(slow) and 10D(inaccurate) but I wonder just how bad either problem is. The 1D offers a larger sensor, but fewer pixels. I know more pixels doesn't necessarily mean a better image, sensor size has a big part in the equation.
    I shoot landscapes, and some wildlife. Any opinions are appreciated.
    Forget the D60, the 300D is a better camera.

The 10D did have some focusing issues in the beginning but the problem has been overrated. This is probably the most logical choice in the list without having more info about your preferences.

The 1D would be my personal choice if I had the money. Bigger sensor, 1.3X mag factor, and just an extremely nice feel in the hand. I'd wait just a little longer, however. When the 1D successor actually hits the market (can be purchased!), the 1D price will fall steeply.
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

Depending on budget 10D or new 1D mark II

Use a 10D. No focusing problem; something that happened when it first came out but not now. Don't know what your budget is but look to the 1D Mark II. It is due to come out later this year. Saw some of the initial specs that came out of France; looks great.

Dennis
    "Foolish consistency is the hobgobblin of little minds." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thread Information