Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Thread: Unclear

Unclear

I am using a SLR Canon Rebel XSI with a 50mm0.45m/1.5ft fixed lens. I had a shoot the other day, indoors, good lighting (right by a big window), shooting in TV at 400 ISO, 1/100 shutter speed...
    Why would my images (almost all of them!) turn out blurry? I though 400 ISO would do great...]

In response to the comments:
    ***I guess I should have stated, not so much blurry...as much as just not sharp and somewhat pixelated. The baby wasn't moving much and I fear that 800 ISO would have caused this problem in itself. Focus was on auto...I'm new at "forum stuff" but I'll try to post a pic..../Volumes/USB DISK/Fox 7-3.jpg
    Last edited by farrfamily4; 02-23-2010 at 11:40 AM.

n8

Re: Unclear

didn't forget your focus was on manual and not focus did you? you're metering might have been thrown off too.
    mostly Nikon gear

Feel free to edit my images for critique, just let me know what you did.

If you post a pic we might have a better idea of what is going on. As stated above never trust in camera metering, or auto settings, they work on the most "normal" conditions but some tie the fail in many others.
    Blur depends on many things, shooting speed, aperture, etc.
    Maybe for the light conditions and that depends also on the metering ISO 400 was not enough, you could try the 800 to shorten the exp time.

Canon XSi
    Canon EF-S 17-85mm IS USM
    Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS
    1. "A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words."Ansel Adams
    2. "Photography is more than a medium for factual communication of ideas. It is a creative art."Ansel Adams

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

1/100 is not enough to stop motion, unless you tell your subject to "hold it".
    That's often not going to give the expression you want, and doesn't work with kids anyway
    Even 1/250 can't freeze a turn of the head at the wrong moment.
    So going to ISO800 wouldn't be enough if you were photographing an active toddler !
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

[QUOTE=farrfamily4]I am using a SLR Canon Rebel XSI with a 50mm0.45m/1.5ft fixed lens. I had a shoot the other day, indoors, good lighting (right by a big window), shooting in TV at 400 ISO, 1/100 shutter speed...
    Why would my images (almost all of them!) turn out blurry? I though 400 ISO would do great...]

In response to the comments:
    ***I guess I should have stated, not so much blurry...as much as just not sharp and somewhat pixelated. The baby wasn't moving much and I fear that 800 ISO would have caused this problem in itself. Focus was on auto...I'm new at "forum stuff" but I'll try to post a pic....

I can't get a picture to upload...the file type is too large and even when I lower the quality of the image (smaller file type) it says that it's too many pixels...hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by farrfamily4
    I can't get a picture to upload...the file type is too large and even when I lower the quality of the image (smaller file type) it says that it's too many pixels...hmmm
    First make it smaller - 800 pixels on the longest side. Them lower the Quality (if necessary) to make the file size 293 KB or less. - TF
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Thread Information