Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Tips for Fashion Photos

My friend is an up and coming (broke) fashion designer and asked me to take some digital photos of one of her dresses (on a model) for a submission file. I take mostly nature shots on film, and I don't really like to shoot people, but I owe her.

I have a Nikon D70s with an 18-70 zoom (no additional flash). We will be shooting outdoors in a park. I know this is a next to impossible request, but does anyone have some basic advice (settings, program modes, composition, flash, etc) that might help salvage a few images from this?

I tried to get some general info from the web, but when you type in "fashion photos", you can end up places where you don't want to be!

Thanks,

philgleiss

Re: Tips for Fashion Photos

start by asking your friend to show you some examples of the sort of photo they want taken. then check out the location and have a look at the clothes. try to pick a spot with nice open shade. harsh lighting will most likely be your enemy. a reflector and diffuser to reposition the light and soften or remove unwanted shadows would be handy. you will need somoene to hold it for you though. have a think about what sort of poses are most likely to show off the features of the clothes. you have to keep in mind that these photos are about the clothes not the model, so any poses that might ruffle or crumple the line of the clothes are out. there are plenty of guides on how to pose people to give you an idea of what poses will best suit the clothes, the model, the location and the lighting.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoebeG
    My friend is an up and coming (broke) fashion designer and asked me to take some digital photos of one of her dresses (on a model) for a submission file. I take mostly nature shots on film, and I don't really like to shoot people, but I owe her.

I have a Nikon D70s with an 18-70 zoom (no additional flash). We will be shooting outdoors in a park. I know this is a next to impossible request, but does anyone have some basic advice (settings, program modes, composition, flash, etc) that might help salvage a few images from this?

I tried to get some general info from the web, but when you type in "fashion photos", you can end up places where you don't want to be!

Thanks,

philgleiss
    Try reading this post in the viewfinder

Was asked "How to do a Fashion-Beauty" shoot...

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Thanks much. Very heady stuff! Lot's to think about not only for this project, but can apply to my regular work.

Thanks again,

Phil

Great reminder on the reflectors. I think I've got some white foamboard I can take with me.

Thanks,

Phil

Tel

I'm in a situation close to this, a friend wants me to shoot her. Nothing special, I'm just doing it for fun. Going to the Reservoir near us once she gets off school (homeschooled), Now I'm mostly a nature person, and I rarely shoot people, so I was hoping for some tips. I'll have my Canon 35-80 and Quantray 19-35 3.5-4.5 with me. Any tips?

Canon Digital Rebel with Quantray 19-35 F3.5-4.5 basically Glued on. :P

I really like beautiful photos. I often have photo shoots for which I dress beautifully. Therefore, I decided to buy myself cool and stylish holiday dresses https://itsmilladress.com. Here you can find simply incredible dresses, very beautiful and delicate. And the prices there are good.

Thread Information