• 12-10-2011, 05:39 PM
    Grandpaw
    A tip to get auto focus to work in low light
    I have a thread in the Nikon forum called "Nikon D7000 tips". Some of these tips and suggestions will work on many different models and brands of cameras. I invite you to read the thread and see if there might be something in it that you did not already know. I am cut and pasting my last tip here also because it might help some of you night shooters with your pictures. So take a look and see if you might benefit from it, Jeff

Nikon D7000 tips
    Having trouble with auto focus in low light

Ever go out at night and the light is so low you just can't get your camera to focus! Well I have a simple answer.

Here is what you do

I have had this happen a few times and have found that with your camera on single area focus point activated on the spot you want to focus on, if your camera will not focus, all you need to do is buy a laser light pen at Walmart for about $2.50 and point it at the spot that your focus point is on and the camera will lock on followed by the little green light in the viewfinder magically appearing and your shot will be in focus. This of course is for stationary subjects taken in dark surroundings but it will make your camera lock on to the focus quickly.

Remember to not point the light in people's or animal's eyes and it is probably not a good idea to point it at the sensor of your camera.

NOTE: I normally wait several days in between posting tips but I am doing this one ahead of time due to getting ready for my trip to Disney World at the end of the week. Merry Christmas to everyone and a Happy New Year, Jeff
  • 12-10-2011, 09:51 PM
    armando_m
    Re: A tip to get auto focus to work in low light
    Great tip !
    Thanks for sharing it
  • 12-11-2011, 05:10 AM
    Grandpaw
    Quote:

Originally Posted by armando_m View Post
    Great tip !
    Thanks for sharing it

Thanks Armando for reading my post and leaving a comment. This really does work well and it is a cheap and easy answer to a annoying problem. I have had a lot of views each day on my Nikon D7000 tips thread in the Nikon forum. A lot of the tips you may already know but you never know when one will pop up that is new to you and can help you out. This also allows you to light up just the area you need to make it work without disturbing or drawing attention from any animals or people that might be there. Unless they see the little red dot they won't even realize anything is going on, Jeff
  • 12-11-2011, 05:36 AM
    Liz
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Grandpaw View Post
    Thanks Armando for reading my post and leaving a comment. This really does work well and it is a cheap and easy answer to a annoying problem. I have had a lot of views each day on my Nikon D7000 tips thread in the Nikon forum. A lot of the tips you may already know but you never know when one will pop up that is new to you and can help you out. This also allows you to light up just the area you need to make it work without disturbing or drawing attention from any animals or people that might be there. Unless they see the little red dot they won't even realize anything is going on, Jeff

Wow! What a great tip! I already have a lazer light - my 2 kitties like to chase it around.

Jeff - I am most grateful for this post - especially for the part about lighting up the area. I'll give it a shot (pun intended).

Thanks so much for sharing it.

Liz