Are these the same?

Printable View

• 07-21-2011, 07:35 AM
    Grandpaw
    Are these the same?
    I have seen some pictures taken at 6mm with a Canon S95 PowerShot camera of a scene at Disney world . Would I need a 6mm lens on my Nikon D7000 to get the same picture or is it different on a DSLR? I don't use point and shoot cameras and was wondering if it would be like comparing 6mm on a full frame to a camera with a crop factor. The widest I have is 10mm, Jeff
  • 07-21-2011, 07:58 AM
    CaraRose
    Re: Are these the same?
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Grandpaw View Post
    I have seen some pictures taken at 6mm with a Canon S95 PowerShot camera of a scene at Disney world . Would I need a 6mm lens on my Nikon D7000 to get the same picture or is it different on a DSLR? I don't use point and shoot cameras and was wondering if it would be like comparing 6mm on a full frame to a camera with a crop factor. The widest I have is 10mm, Jeff

Sensor size is going to effect that. Using the 35mm standard to compare to... the crop factor of the S95 is something like 4.5. The Nikon D7000 has a crop factor of 1.5.

So if I'm right... coverage of the S95 shot would be 27mm(4.5x6) if you used a 35mm... so on your D7000, the same coverage would be 18mm (27/1.5).
  • 07-21-2011, 08:01 AM
    Grandpaw
    [QUOTE=CaraRose;475871]Sensor size is going to effect that. Using the 35mm standard to compare to... the crop factor of the S95 is something like 4.5. The Nikon D7000 has a crop factor of 1.5.

So if I'm right... coverage of the S95 shot would be 27mm(4.5x6) if you used a 35mm... so on your D7000, the same coverage would be 18mm (27/1.5).[/QUOTE

So are you saying that 6mm on the powershot would be the same as my 18mm on my camera? Jeff
  • 07-21-2011, 08:10 AM
    CaraRose
    If I'm not screwing up my understanding of crop factors and my math, then yep, I think the same coverage at 6mm with the powershot would be covered by 18mm on yours.
  • 07-21-2011, 08:37 AM
    Grandpaw
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CaraRose View Post
    If I'm not screwing up my understanding of crop factors and my math, then yep, I think the same coverage at 6mm with the powershot would be covered by 18mm on yours.

Thanks Cara, I am still checking things out for my trip to WDW in December. I really think my Sigma 17-50 F2.8 will take the magority of my pictures. I have three 16gb class 10 SD cards and just a few minutes ago ordered three more. They do have a service down there at the photo shops on WDW that will put your pictures on a CD from your card but it is $12.00 to do it. I am hoping to have everything checked out and covered in advanced so there won't be any surprises, Jeff
  • 07-24-2011, 10:04 AM
    freygr
    Most cameras do list the equivalent 35mm angle of view range which is the focus length on a full frame 35mm still camera or a full size sensor on a DSLR.
  • 07-29-2011, 04:27 PM
    Grandpaw
    Quote:

Originally Posted by freygr View Post
    Most cameras do list the equivalent 35mm angle of view range which is the focus length on a full frame 35mm still camera or a full size sensor on a DSLR.

Thanks for the information, Jeff
  • 08-05-2011, 03:03 PM
    emoxley
    I got confused with Cara's post. :)
    If he uses a 35mm lens on the D7000, it will be equivalent to a 52.5mm. A 100mm lens would be equivalent to a 150mm lens. Is that what you were saying Cara? I got lost with trying to figure what would equal the 6mm.

I can't post links yet, so I'll do it like this:
    (digital-slr-guide.com/crop-factor)
    For the line above, put the usual beginning, and put.html at the end.
    On that page, you'll see what I'm talking about if you scroll down about half way. :)
  • 08-05-2011, 03:04 PM
    emoxley
    Oops..........double post.
  • 08-06-2011, 08:37 AM
    CaraRose
    Quote:

Originally Posted by emoxley View Post
    I got confused with Cara's post. :)
    If he uses a 35mm lens on the D7000, it will be equivalent to a 52.5mm. A 100mm lens would be equivalent to a 150mm lens. Is that what you were saying Cara? I got lost with trying to figure what would equal the 6mm.

I can't post links yet, so I'll do it like this:
    (digital-slr-guide.com/crop-factor)
    For the line above, put the usual beginning, and put.html at the end.
    On that page, you'll see what I'm talking about if you scroll down about half way. :)

35mm film size (ie, full frame digital sensor) not lens. I was doing the conversion by multiplying the crop factor of the S95 getting the 35mm film equivalent, then using the 35mm film equivalent and the crop factor of the D7000 to determine the mm lens on the D7000 that would get the same range of view. The result was 18mm lens.
  • 08-06-2011, 09:35 PM
    Chris350
    The widest lens made for DX sensor Nikon DSLR's is Nikon's 10mm Fisheye. Tokina makes an 11-16mm super wide. Nikon 35mm film fisheyes are not compatible with digital bodies.
  • 08-07-2011, 09:25 AM
    Anbesol
    Actually in a sense, you do need a 6mm lens to get the same picture. Though 18mm will give you the same perspective, the dof will be different between the two. Its kind of like, the dof from a 50mm f/1.8 is the same on both APS and full frame. But on APS, you have a cropped part of the full frame image.

lol not to contradict what anybody else has said, I'm just being a little technical here.

Chris - Nikon film fisheyes not compatible with digital?? *edit - are you talking about the "invasive" fisheyes?
  • 08-08-2011, 11:52 AM
    freygr
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris350 View Post
    The widest lens made for DX sensor Nikon DSLR's is Nikon's 10mm Fisheye. Tokina makes an 11-16mm super wide. Nikon 35mm film fisheyes are not compatible with digital bodies.

The full frame lens unless it's listed at: Nikon SLR Camera & Lens Compatibility Chart as not compatible will mount and take photos, a 6mm fish eye on a D70 is the equivalent of a 9mm lens, but depending on which camera you have you may need an external light meter and operate the camera in full manual mode (no AF).
  • 08-08-2011, 06:04 PM
    Grandpaw
    I think this thread has gone off course. I knew that there was a difference of how a lens view was between full frame and DX and was wondering if it was like that between DX and a point and shoot, and the answer was yes. I had seen some pictures at Disney World taken with a point and shoot camera at 6mm and wanted to know what I needed on a DX camera to get the same thing. CaraRose answered my question in the first reply.

Thanks to everyone for joining in on my thread, Jeff
  • 09-01-2011, 06:09 PM
    ruosis
    nikon D90 is just good