Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Thread: Photo logs... ?

It's hurricane season... again...

Photo logs... ?

For those that still use film, how do you record your settings? I find it tedious to write everything down, especially if I'm out and about. I was considering getting a voice recorder. Does anyone use pre-filled photo logs? I can't seem to find any. Thanks for any advice on how to make this necessary task easier!
    Kristin
    Canon Bird Nerd #2

C'mon guys, please help me out... do you actually stop after each photo and write down your info? Aren't there any shortcuts?
    Kristin
    Canon Bird Nerd #2

OK - I'll give it a shot. I used to write down exposure information in a small pocket sized notebook. I included date, location, subject, type of film, weather conditions, lens, filter type, etc.

I used the recorded data when viewing the prints and negatives when they returned from the lab. The lab also provided information on the negative density. I actually wrote the exposure data on the back of the prints for a while. I definitely believe that this helps improve your abilities in getting properly exposed film.

Now, with digital, the camera does all that for me. Now, I don't use the data, but I do pay attention to the camera's histogram on each exposure.

How's that?

-Dave-

EEK, so everyone really does stop after each and every picture to write all that stuff down? I'm definitely looking into a voice recorder...

Thanks for your help, Dave!
    Kristin
    Canon Bird Nerd #2

Mig
    C8H10N4O2
    I ran off on Thursday with a dance troupe from Spain
    Well, let me put it this way. I had one of those little pocket sized notebooks too. My last entry is from St Patrick's Day......2001. Yeah. It was actually my second entry. I couldn't stick with it, so I just focused (no pun intended) on making sure I did a DOF preview so I could see the effects of the aperture/distance relationships, etc. I could pretty much figure out if I used too slow a shutter speed from the results. Admittedly it's harder to learn that way, but I was often just too busy shooting to document. One of the many (many, many!) things I love about the 10D, is having all that information at my fingertips.

I think a voice recorder definitely sounds like a good idea for you though.

Danielle

Quote Originally Posted by Mig
    Well, let me put it this way. I had one of those little pocket sized notebooks too. My last entry is from St Patrick's Day......2001.
    LOL! Well at least now I don't feel so bad! Thanks for the idea... it does sound more difficult, but the determined-to-do-as-little-paperwork-as-possible in me loves it. ;) Soooo... it's either that or a voice recorder, until I can afford a D-rebel.
    Kristin
    Canon Bird Nerd #2

I got a little log book when I signed up for NYIP. It has everything important in columns, so you just have to jot down a couple of numbers. I never use it though, guess it'd help for when I bracket.

Years ago I took one of those "It's Tuesday, This Must Be Belgium" tours of Western Europe. I wrote nothing down. It took me three years to organize those shots because I didn't know what I was looking at and/or where on the continent I happened to be. Some of them are a mystery to this day. I learned my lesson. I now carry a notebook and follow three simple rules.

1. I only make a record when I am doing volume shooting and there could be a mix-up (see above) or when I see a need for technical information (see below).

2. When doing "volume shoots," I will always record subject and place. This is not a terrible inconvenience because, like many of you, I will frequently blow an entire roll (probably much more) in one location. In this case, a single comment for that entire roll may suffice. Example: Sunrise Point, Bryce Canyon N.P. @ Sunrise, 7/15.

3. When I am bracketing or taking serious control of a shot such that I will want to know how to recreate it, I will record the aperture, speed and other settings. Maybe I'm wrong, but this doesn't happen all that often.

Thanks for the help... the main reason that I still need to record EVERYTHING is that I'm still learning. This morning is a perfect example. I didn't bracket, and didn't write anything down. Guess what? My butterfly shots were underexposed. Drats! Once again, lesson learned.

I should be receiving my recorder tomorrow... hopefully that will make it easier for me!

Thanks again!
    Kristin
    Canon Bird Nerd #2

Thread Information