Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

file error, messed up pictures

I have a Sony DSC-S500 and tried to copy pictures from 1GB Memory stick pro duo card thru USB conntector camera->computer. The process intially worked. Next time I try to load new pictures to computer USB connection can not find pictures. When i try to view on camera i get blue screen which says file error. I eventually got the new pictures copied to computer but are messed up(attached sample) I have formatted MSproDUO card and seems to be working now. I was wondering if anyone knows how to fix the pictures copied. When viewed in windows tumbnail view the picture appears normal, but when i open the picture the attached picture is the result. Any idea what I can do???
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails file error, messed up pictures-dsc00327.jpg  
    Last edited by raenix; 04-28-2008 at 07:57 AM.

Re: file error, messed up pictures

It looks like the file allocation table got messed up. You have to be careful when transferring the files as it you unplug the camera, the cameras battery dies or MS update reboot happens during the file transfer your files just got corrupted. Unluckily you have formated and reused the memory card so the original files can't be fixed or recovered. The files on the computer are corrupted so there is not any automated program to fix the files. You will just have to cut and paste and try to fix the images in an image editing program.

To make sure this doesn't happen. Use multiple memory cards in a rotation. That way you can recover the images or recopy the images to your computer if there is a problem.

After copying the images and making sure that there all there make a CD, DVD, hard disk back up.

I use a card reader to read my memory cards, and it is one which installs in a drive bay so it can't be unplugged.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Chicagoland, IL, USA (transplanted canadian)

I'd second the corruption in the FAT (file allocation table) theory... At minimum I'd pull the files off the memory card.

And depending how brave you are, you might possibly try running a CHKDSK on the memory card. It may possibly that this will fix some of the cross linked files... But also this could cause you to loose what files you already have (hence, make the backup first.)

You might be able to recover something.

-- Now that I reread, you have since already reformatted the memory card. Doing a CHKDSK won't be really helpful now. As for trying to fix them, using Photoshop or the likes, with some cutting and pasting you could likely stitch the photos together.
    Cheers,
    Greg

---
    Canon Digital Rebel XTi
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 XR Di II VC (new favorite)
    EF-S IS 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6; EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III; EF 50mm f/1.8 II
    Sony CyberShot DSC-V1

thanks for the help, i'll see what i can do

the only other question I have is that the pictures I have copied to my computer show up fine in the tumbnail preview but don't appear that way when I open them. Does the computer recognize the 'correct' picture but just does not display it that way? Any ideas or hopeful news?

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Thumbnails are embedded in the original image by the camera.
    So if the camera writes hat first part of the image properly, depending on your software, it may display a good thumbnail.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Thread Information