Terrible LCD Protector

Printable View

• 04-25-2012, 07:22 AM
    Don Schaeffer
    Terrible LCD Protector
    I made the mistake of buying an LCD protector on E-Bay and even bigger mistake of installing it.

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

The glue pad made a mess of my LCD. It was practically opaque. I managed to pry it off using a pen knife soaked in alcohol but scratched the LCD in the process.

Does anyone know how to reduce the effect of scratches on glass?

Please don't laugh.
  • 04-25-2012, 11:15 AM
    freygr
    Re: Terrible LCD Protector
    You will need to buff it. I don't think that the camera LCD is glass, I could be wrong. My D70 came with a hard plastic clip on protector. Plastic or glass it still will have to be buffed but being so small it's going to be problematical getting it to look like new.
  • 04-25-2012, 11:33 AM
    Don Schaeffer
    Thanks GRF.

I found a little video on You Tube that suggested using a waxy furniture spray (like Pledge) to remove scratches like mine on plastic. The wax fills in the scratches. I tried buffing my LCD with a similar product. It made a substantial improvement. I remember there was a beeswax eyeglass cleaner on the market a few years ago. That may work great.
  • 04-26-2012, 11:22 AM
    freygr
    Air craft windshield cleaner works good also.
  • 04-26-2012, 01:23 PM
    Don Schaeffer
    The wax made the LCD workable even though the major scratches are still visible.
  • 04-27-2012, 11:26 AM
    freygr
    Just remember to remove a protector, use a blade only at a corner to get a grep to peel of the protector.
  • 04-28-2012, 01:13 PM
    Don Schaeffer
    too late. Already done
  • 04-28-2012, 08:47 PM
    EOSThree
    I'm sure it's a plastic cover rather than the actual screen. Nikon probably has part that will replace that cover. If you want to try to salvage the current cover, look into Jewelers rouge or an aircraft product called Micro Mesh, it buffs out scratches in plastic windows.
  • 04-29-2012, 07:24 AM
    Don Schaeffer
    Thanks EOS
  • 05-01-2012, 02:49 PM
    Ti.P
    search DSLR LCD Hood in google you should find one
  • 05-01-2012, 03:05 PM
    Don Schaeffer
    Thanks TiP. I don't need a hood.