Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Tamron 18-270mm pzd

Any thoughts on this lens? I want an all in one for my Nikon D3100.
    Nikon D3100
    Tamron 18-270 PZD
    Nikon 35mm

Re: Tamron 18-270mm pzd

I've seen and heard better things about the 28-300, however the 10mm wide gain is certainly a lot more valuable than the 30mm telephoto gain, in a practical sense. The lens is slow, so personally I would not call it an "all-in-one", as it is poor for action, low light, narrow dof, etc which are all part of "all". I always try to encourage people to try out FAST lens.

However, I don't know how you want to use it, I don't know if low light or action is part of your purpose. Also, what is wrong with just simply changing your current lens? Just don't like taking lens on and off? You already have nearly the same 18-270 focal range, those two kits you have should produce as good and better quality than the Tamron superzoom.
    - Charlie

Feel free to edit and repost my work as a part of your critique.

Re: Tamron 18-270mm pzd

You kit lenses have the edge over the Tamron 18-270 lens. If you are going on a trip it would be a good choice for a walk around lens for day time snap shots, and indoor with flash it would be ok. On the other hand it's a slow lens and for paying jobs I would not use it, also for sports in an arena it would not be satisfactory or for evening out door sports. or weddings and like.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Thread Information