Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Avatars for use on internet sites

I need instruction on producing avatars from photos that I have.

Each internet site sets a limit on the make-up of the avatar. Whenever I attempt to meet the standard, my end product is distorted in one way or another.

My method is to reduce either the dimensions or resolution of the photo or at times, both of these aspects. Regardless of what I do, the quality of my end product becomes quite poor. The image loses focus or becomes distorted.

I use Corel Photo House and Microsoft Picture It Photo as my editorial programs.

Your help in educating me is sincerely appreciated.
    Duty, honor, country; not mere words but a code to live by.

Re: Avatars for use on internet sites

Many websites use different size avatars. Here, it's 80 pixels X 80 pixels, maximum 19.5K, whichever is smaller. Some sites use rectangular avatars so if you used the square 80x80 it might stretch it to fit the specs. You're best to create separate avatars based on the file sizes you need.

I'm not familiar with your programs, but in Photoshop you would set the crop tool for 80 pixels X 80 pixels and move it around until you got what you wanted. Set the quality lower than you might normally to keep the file size low - or use B&W to save file size.

Thank you another view for your comments.

I bought Photo Shop and followed your suggestion. The result is much better then my previous attempts. Scanning an old creased 1985 photo, I reduced the overall size and resolution of the image. I am using it as my avatar.

It will take a bit of learning on my part to produce what I consider to be an acceptable image. Nevertheless, I have fond memories of this particular photo. In March 1985 I was driving through Malibu, CA when I spotted a man on a rock being pummeled by wave after wave.

I stopped as quickly as I could, attached a long lens to my Pentax LX and took a single shot. The distance was about 2000 yards. Having to crop and greatly reduce the size of the photo for the avatar results in only the central figure, rock and a small bit of water. The entire unreduced image displays the curve of the shore line with an angry Pacific Ocean.

Thanks again for you help.

Glad to help and nice shot - I'd be interested in seeing the whole thing. Mine (currently) is a small crop of a shot of a friend kayaking on Lake Superior. The whole shot shows a big wide open space - not much more than what you see here but a different feel.

This is the original print of image taken in 1985. I was careless storing it over the years and did not secure it from poor conditons. Thus, lots of fading, cracking and smudges.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Avatars for use on internet sites-malibu-1985.jpg  

Thread Information