selling photos?

Printable View

• 03-19-2004, 10:04 PM
    photoguy2004
    selling photos?
    I have a buyer who wants 100-200 4X6 prints of my artistic nude photos. He will then sell them to a art gallary. How much do I sell the bulk photos for? Thanks and any help would be much appriciated. Erik
  • 03-21-2004, 09:37 AM
    Jeff82
    I have no ideal what bulk 4X6 prints would sell for. I do know that art galleries typically have a 50% mark-up, and usually require the artist to matt and frame his photos. Working backwards, if a framed 11x14 sells for $300 to $600 (pretty typical at higher-end galleries), the photographer would get $150 to $300, less the cost of making the print, shipping it and framing it. He gets paid when the print sells, and if it doesn't, he usually has to pay to have his work shipped back to him.

I truly have no idea what a 4x6 print would sell for, let alone 100 to 200 of them. And, cash up front would be more attractive than selling on consignment. I've never tried to sell to a gallery, but have sold stock shots to magazines. They typically pay anywhere from $5 to $80 for quarter-page or less shots --quite a range. I'd probably start at $20 per print, and see where it goes. Wild guess.

If you could get an idea of what a gallery might sell them for, that would give you a better idea of what to charge. If the final price framed is in the $60 to $100 range, Figure that the gallery would get $30 to $50, framing might be $10 to $20, that leaves $20 to $30 to pay you and provide a profit to the buyer.

Of course, if the buyer is the gallery, you wouldn't be splitting the profits.

Hope this helps,

--Jeff