SDHC Card Write Protected

Printable View

• 01-15-2013, 06:55 PM
    Alisha Kateleen
    SDHC Card Write Protected
    Okay so here is the dilemma that I am having. I recently purchased the Rebel T4i and it came with a DANE-ELEC Pro200x 16GB Class 10 SDHC memory card. I didn't know that you had to format a new memory card so I just put it in and took pictures just to see how the camera works.

About 30 pictures my camera suddenly told me that my card was Write Protected. I thought this was weird and took it out to see if maybe something had happened to the little switch but it was fine.

I took the memory card to my computer to see if it worked and it let me copy the images that were on it to my computer but I was not able to take them off of the memory card.

I tried to format the memory card on the computer and it tells me the same thing that it's write protected. Same with other cameras, they all just say the same thing.

I googled the problem and came to find that people suggested tape, but this also didn't help me.

So my question is, is there any way to save my memory card or should I just toss it? I have the pictures that were on it so I don't need to recover them. I think formatting the card would help but it won't let me do so due to the fact that it's write protected.

I look forward to any possible suggestions and hopefully someone can help me out.

Thank you.
  • 01-16-2013, 11:51 AM
    Franglais
    Re: SDHC Card Write Protected
    Hold the SD card with the cut-off corner at top right. On the left edge of the SD card there is a white slider, probably marked "lock". If this is in the down position then your card is write protected. Just push it to the up position and that will remove the write protect.
  • 01-16-2013, 06:05 PM
    Alisha Kateleen
    Thanks, but that wasn't the problem. I switched it in the lock position and get the same message as well.
  • 01-17-2013, 06:04 AM
    Grandpaw
    Try formatting the card in the camera. The camera is the proper place to format your cards, NOT the computer.
  • 01-17-2013, 11:07 AM
    Alisha Kateleen
    Tried that as welll, but all my cameras tell me that they can't format it because the card is write protected.
  • 01-18-2013, 12:36 PM
    freygr
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Alisha Kateleen View Post
    Tried that as welll, but all my cameras tell me that they can't format it because the card is write protected.

You have a broken switch, the metal contact of the switch is no longer attached to the slider. This should be covered under the card's warranty. But you will have to send the card off to get an replacement if the store will not swap it out. So Plan on purchasing a second card to use if you have to send it off for replacement or repair.
  • 01-18-2013, 12:47 PM
    Alisha Kateleen
    I don't think that the switch is broken, I have 1 camera that reads the card and when I slide the switch down it tells me that its locked but the card wont format in that camera either it just freezes up
  • 01-24-2013, 11:59 AM
    freygr
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Alisha Kateleen View Post
    I don't think that the switch is broken, I have 1 camera that reads the card and when I slide the switch down it tells me that its locked but the card wont format in that camera either it just freezes up

The card is bad, you should be able to return it or send it in for warranty repair/replacement. There are time limits so do not wait or you will have lost your money.
  • 01-24-2013, 03:06 PM
    Alisha Kateleen
    I already got it replaced, i just wanted to know if there was any way to fix it. But thank you all.