Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

I bought a 3.5 X lens ,but my camera has built in 10X lens ( I a beginner)

I was considering getting a $450.00 DSLR but instead decided to get a $85.00 lens kit for my kodak Z 710..non SLR to get the feel of things before spending more money. The kit has 3.5 telephoto lens, 52mm wide angle lens ,and 4 filters wich I havnt tried yet..
    After I bought this I was advise that it probably was a waste of money but now that I have the kit I'm going to try everything I can ,then once I have an idea what a DSLR will do better I can get one with my saved up airmiles . I'll ask opinions here before buying ..
    Now my question I have today is when I installed my 3.5 telephoto lens and used my cameras zoom at the same time ,everything is blurry. Is this because the camera with it's 10X zoom is making the add on 3.5 useless when used with my cameras zoom? In other words if I set my camera to about 3.5 zoom vs screwing on the add on 3.5 lens I'd get the same effect? ( leaving my camera in the non zoom position)
    Neil

Re: I bought a 3.5 X lens ,but my camera has built in 10X lens ( I a beginner)

It sounds like you have bought a 3.5x add-on converter like this one:

Vivitar 35-58T 3.5x Telephoto Conversion Lens VIV-35-58T B&H

As you suggest at the end, if you screw on the converter with your camera lens at the minimum focal length (what you call the non-zoom position) then the view that you get will be the same as if you set the camera zoom to the 3.5x position.

If you set the camera zoom to the maximum 10x then the converter will multiply that by 3.5x giving you a massive 35x magnification. Sounds good? Not really..

You have observed that the results are not sharp. There may be several reasons:

1. Read the reviews and you will see that everyone complains about the result being unsharp. This is really a poor solution
    2. The converter may have made your camera's autofocus inaccurate (unlikely)
    3. The converter is reducing the amount of light reaching the camera lens plus the extra magnification is also magnifying camera shake. Both these factors will tend to give you blurred images due to camera shake

BTW reality check about DSLR's: a DSLR should give you clearer, sharper more detailed pictures than your Kodak BUT for $450 you will probably only get a lens with 3.5x zoom. You can change it for another lens which will give you 11x zoom but it will cost you about $800 and it's rather large (I have one)
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

I used to own a 5 megapixel version of this camera. It has a 38mm-380mm (35mm equivalent) lens. Yours has a 7 megapixel sensor. It's an excellent start-up camera. You really don't need the 3.5x aux lens. You have plenty of magnification without it. I would sell it or hide it. I used my Kodak happily for many years. You got a bargain.

Thanks guys,
    I have been reading my "DSLR for dummies" and starting to really get interested. I'm glad I didnt buy a DSLR yet because theres so many things to consider ( and possibilities ) . Meanwhile my Kodak is impressing the heck out of me , or should I say all these new lenses .. If they work on this camera I can look forward to better results once I upgrade to a DSLR..
    I dont want videos , but hike in the mountains a lot . ( in summer) ..
    Wow this is so cool ...so many things to try out .. I'm going to put the wide angle lens on and try zooming with it on and see what happens ..
    Thanks ..

The add-on lenses are junk. They are a way for salespeople to line their pockets with money from folks that don't know any better. "Look, it does this, but add these, and look at what else it does!!!"

But when you "add these" you actually drop the image quality and the camera's usefulness.

That's the strength of the SLR. You don't gimmick up with add-on adapters for your lens. You actually change the lens entirely.

Obvious downside is that it's more expensive.

In your place, I would put the adapters and filters in a box somewhere and then have someone hide the box. Just use the camera.

Also, you;ve used the 'x' two different ways. The 3.5x is a magnifying factor; it magnifies the image 3.5 times. The 10x is a zoom factor. The maximum zoom setting is 10 times the minimum setting. One defines a multiplier, the other defines a range.

Thanks , I have lots to learn. meanwhile I dont expect great photos with these lenses , but they are great leaning tools .
    Im a little lost with the two X factors . Doesn't the10X enlarge the image 10X ? it seems to , and when screwing on the 3.5 it brought the image In the finished photo up real close. like probably 35 times ?

The 10x doesn't necessarily mean 10 times magnification. It means that widest to longest is a 10-times range. The longest focal length of the lens is ten times the shortest focal length. It is not a factor of how much it magnifies.

The add-on lenses are the only ones that state a magnification. You can get add-ons that are fractional, too, like .4x, which would be a wide-angle add-on, wider then the camera by itself.

On a zoom lens, the x is a comparison of widest to longest. on an add-on, the x is a multiplier factor.

Not all add-on lenses are equal. I had a camera shop sub a cheaper different lens on me once. The lens worked well with Olympus C2100 but would only work on my C-3030 at the long end of the zoom with out losing the corners.

In short the lens must be designed for you camera otherwise you will get unacceptable image quality.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Thread Information