Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

SD card write protected

Hi, I have just bought my first SLR a Canon EOS 1000D. I have a Silicon Power 16GB HC Class 6 High Speed SD Card. Having taken my first pictures, I inserted the card in my laptop and the Media Manager opened with an option to transfer files. There was an option to delete the image files upon transfer, which is what I did. Now, however, when I put my SD card in the camera it says it is write protected. I have tried accessing the SD card, and have enabled sharing, but I cannot find an option to release a write protection on my computer. Anyone any ideas? By the way, this is my first post, and as a newbie I would like to say thank you to all you helpful souls out there. Much appreciated.

Re: SD card write protected

Welcome to Photography Review. Try putting the card in the camera and re-formatting it in the camera and see if that helps. Myself I would never delete any files on the card until the files that were put into the computer were verified, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Is there a little slide on the side of the card? Mine gets flipped to the lock position every once in a while and all it takes is to slide it to unlocked.

Quote Originally Posted by Iguanamom
    Is there a little slide on the side of the card? Mine gets flipped to the lock position every once in a while and all it takes is to slide it to unlocked.
    I was adding this to my reply when I looked back and read your post. On my Nikon it reads "Card is Locked" on the cameras LCD screen. Maybe on a Canon it would say "write protected" if the slide switch has been moved.

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks for your suggestions, Grandpaw, thankfully I got all the photos downloaded.
    I tried to format the card in the camera, but it won't let me do anything because it says it is write protected. I have also played around with the little switch you mentioned Iguanamom, and it wasn't that. I am a bit afraid to format it in my laptop, but I reckon I don't have a lot to lose??

I've never formatted a card for a camera in my life. I've always just popped them in and off I go. Maybe you can skip this step and things won't be so complicated.

I know Iguanamom, I clearly did the wrong thing in erasing the pictures on my laptop instead of in my camera. Sometimes newbies make expensive mistakes. I am trying to go onto the canon tech support to see if they have any suggestions. I'll keep you posted if I find a solution.......Once again, thanks for your help

Quote Originally Posted by Iguanamom
    I've never formatted a card for a camera in my life. I've always just popped them in and off I go. Maybe you can skip this step and things won't be so complicated.
    It has always been recommended to format your memory card after downloading your pictures to you PC. You may want to take a look at the link below. This is just one of many places that recommend reformatting yor card in the camera, Jeff

http://gadgetwise.blogs.nytimes.com/...eformat-often/

Quote Originally Posted by NellyMcCool
    Hi, I have just bought my first SLR a Canon EOS 1000D. I have a Silicon Power 16GB HC Class 6 High Speed SD Card. Having taken my first pictures, I inserted the card in my laptop and the Media Manager opened with an option to transfer files. There was an option to delete the image files upon transfer, which is what I did. Now, however, when I put my SD card in the camera it says it is write protected. I have tried accessing the SD card, and have enabled sharing, but I cannot find an option to release a write protection on my computer. Anyone any ideas? By the way, this is my first post, and as a newbie I would like to say thank you to all you helpful souls out there. Much appreciated.
    There is a (slide) switch on the SD card.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Well i have the Same problem I cannot even rotate the images using windows as the images are write protected . So I am left with lots of portrait style pictures on their side lol

Did you manage to solve the problem ?

The onlyy solution I have found so foar is to remove the SD card and use a USB card reader to edit the images

Pentax Forum Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Joe90
    Well i have the Same problem I cannot even rotate the images using windows as the images are write protected . So I am left with lots of portrait style pictures on their side lol

The onlyy solution I have found so foar is to remove the SD card and use a USB card reader to edit the images
    Joe, have you tried going into properties and removing the write protect in the properties section. Many times this will allow you to have access to your photos again.

The other thing you can do is to "SAVE AS" and rename the photos and this should also remove any write protection.
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Pentax Forum Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by NellyMcCool
    Hi Nelly and welcome to PR...many good suggestions have already been made so, I just want to add that formatting your card frequently "in camera" will help to insure that your cards stay as fresh as possible. Just deleting files doesn't completely erase all the bits and can cause problems later down the line. I don't reformat "everytime", but I do at least every 3 or 4 times and some of my cards are 5-6 years old with over 500,000 photos having been taken on them.

Second thing I wanted to mention is that formatting your card in your computer will be ok, if it will let you do it, but, you should then reformat it in your camera. This will ensure that the card is working in in sync with your camera.

Lastly, most cards have great warranties and if you can't get it fixed, take it back to where you bought it. Most places will exchange them with no questions asked. I had to return a card several years ago that I bought at a Best Buy in Madison, WI. I didn't feel like driving all the way back to Madison, so took a chance and took it to Dubuque, IA (much closer). They just told me to go get another one and I didnt even have to go through refund process or anything.

Good luck and let us know how things go. And please remember to write a review for us about the card and your experiences with it and how you cured the problem. It could help future purchasers of the product.
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Quote Originally Posted by Joe90

You can use windows explorer to change the read only file flag. In the directory listing right click on the file, select properties, and then uncheck the read only box.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Thread Information