Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Thread: saving photos

saving photos

...I'm trying to find the best way to save photos without carrying my laptop...
    here's the situation: shoot pictures, remove card from camera, plug card into
    (what device ?) then hand card to someone who can transfer images to their
    home computer...

...what is the best way to accomplish this ?
    or am I just inserting another step that is not necessary, and adds more 'noise'
    to the process ?

thanks for any ideas and knowledge about this...

Re: saving photos

Look at something like the EPSON P-2000 Multimedia Storage Viewer. The P-2000 is discontinued, so you might find it used. Copies your files to a 40GB drive without a computer. http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/c...p?oid=49164278

Phil

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

When traveling abroad when I can't take my laptop, I use a Sanho Hyperdrive like this one:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ORSPACE_O.html

It plays back RAW images and can be turned sideways for landscape images. Also becomes a regular external harddrive when connected to a computer.

Best of all, it comes with a rechargeable Li-Ion battery so you can transfer/playback images all on-the-go.
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Sports photo junkie jorgemonkey's Avatar

My workflow for tomorrows shoot (and most others) is after the shoot, copy images from card to my laptop. Cards stay on me (incase laptop stolen, dropped, anything else) and images are now in 2 places. Once I get home I copy the images from my laptop to the desktop computer, now images in 3 places.
    Nikon Samurai #21

Cameras:
    D700
    D300
    D200
    D2H

Lenses:
    Nikon 35mm F1.8, 35 F2, 50mm F1.8, 70-200 F2.8 VR
    Sigma 150mm F2.8 Macro
    Tokina 12-24 F4
    SB900 & SB800 flashes

If I'm travelling light (no portable PC):

1. I always take enough cards with me for a days shoot. When I'm on holiday with the D60 I have a 16GB card in the camera. That gives me 1100 pictures - enough for more than a week. And in my suitcase I have another 2 16GB cards.

2. I always shoot RAW + JPG. That way I have a 2nd copy of each image on the card

3. When I get back to the hotel I plug the camera into my ARCHOS multimedia device. It recognises the camera as a PTP device and downloads the JPG's to the internal drive/flash memory.

That's enough for a security copy. The JPG's don't take much space and next day I just keep on filling up the 16GB card

If I've got the portable PC with me then I it's the same process except than in step 3 I take the SD card and plug it into the card reader in the portable and copy just the JPG's or JPG's + RAW depending on how paranoid I'm feeling

My current ARCHOS is this one. It has 32GB of internal Flash storage which is enough for a lot of JPG's. Plus if I need to go on Internet I just go to a place with Wifi and connect. (I don't have a 3G connection outside of France)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...et_Tablet.html
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

...thank you for the info., and your experience...

...I have taken the laptop, but it's also my home computer, so that's not a safe option...

...I'm looking into a netbook as an option...

...and I'll look into the other options you gave me...

marc

Most netbooks have a very small hard drive. I bought one and a 500GB usb drive to carry with it. For vacation, or extended trips, I carry a laptop so I can process the files in the evenings.

Phil

Thread Information