• 06-13-2011, 12:01 PM
    Lori11
    At the risk of sounding stupid (Im ok with that)
    I have a Canon 50D when I upload my card, it uploads at 72 dpi, how can I change that? Will they upload bigger? I dont shoot RAW, I take 6 to 8000 pics an event, I dont have time for RAW. Also...somehow I didnt realize that to print at (Walmart, a customer is printing a pic) it needed to be 960 dpi for an 8x10??? How did I not know this, or why I guess is the bigger question. I am on overload so I cant seem to process any of this lol
    Oh, and my camera fell and snapped the lens off where it connects to the camera...yeah, dont ask, Im still sick about it...
    Thank you in advance
    :D < fake grin by the way
  • 06-13-2011, 12:30 PM
    ksbryan0
    Re: At the risk of sounding stupid (Im ok with that)
    Lori, I don't have the 50D, but if you go into the menu settings I believe you will find that your camera is set to make small JPEG image files that would be appropriate for web posting. You just need to change it to large JPEG and the resolution will increase from 72 to something much larger. The drawback will be that you won't fit as many images on your SD cards, so you might need to buy several more to be sure you have enough for the events you are shooting. The 960 dpi is not reasonable for printing an 8X10 print, unless maybe it is 8 foot by 10 foot.
  • 06-13-2011, 01:33 PM
    freygr
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lori11 View Post
    I have a Canon 50D when I upload my card, it uploads at 72 dpi, how can I change that? Will they upload bigger? I dont shoot RAW, I take 6 to 8000 pics an event, I dont have time for RAW. Also...somehow I didnt realize that to print at (Walmart, a customer is printing a pic) it needed to be 960 dpi for an 8x10??? How did I not know this, or why I guess is the bigger question. I am on overload so I cant seem to process any of this lol
    Oh, and my camera fell and snapped the lens off where it connects to the camera...yeah, dont ask, Im still sick about it...
    Thank you in advance
    :D < fake grin by the way

Please note the DPI setting does not change the pixel count of the image! But it does chance the display size. I have an old Nikon film scanner and the files are about 30meg at 3900 dpi and will display on the monitor at the slide size if you have the software set up to display at the files DPI.

Note the standard for printing is 300 DPI for photos.
  • 06-13-2011, 03:22 PM
    OldClicker
    DPI means nothing in the digital world - it's just a number stored in the EXIF. Printers use it (somewhat). Whatever software you use to import/view the files can probably change this number during import and/or as a batch. - Terry
  • 06-13-2011, 03:41 PM
    Lori11
    Thanks ya'll...I know the standard is 300 dpi, but walmart (again, I was not printing) would not make her an
    8x10.....I still cant figure out why.
    I was trying to change the upload because I have to use 3 programs just to change the dpi to 300 (someday I will be able to afford a real editing program lol)
    Thanks!
  • 06-13-2011, 05:28 PM
    gryphonslair99
  • 06-13-2011, 10:49 PM
    Anbesol
    Quote:

Originally Posted by OldClicker View Post
    DPI means nothing in the digital world - it's just a number stored in the EXIF. Printers use it (somewhat). Whatever software you use to import/view the files can probably change this number during import and/or as a batch. - Terry

Well put.

Lori, dpi won't change anything, the software in the photo labs scale the resolution, and crop them too.:mad2: < fake banging head on wall.

If walmart couldn't print, either the lab guy was an idiot, or the file extension was not jpeg or tif. Dpi had nothing to do with it.
  • 06-14-2011, 11:50 AM
    freygr
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lori11 View Post
    Thanks ya'll...I know the standard is 300 dpi, but walmart (again, I was not printing) would not make her an
    8x10.....I still cant figure out why.
    I was trying to change the upload because I have to use 3 programs just to change the dpi to 300 (someday I will be able to afford a real editing program lol)
    Thanks!

A good ink jet printer which will do a very good job of printing 8 by 10 inch prints is not that all costly. The problem you experienced is why I print most of my own prints and have ended up purchasing a wider printer (cost less than the HPIII laser jet print when it was new).

As far as an editing program there is always GIMP, and it is free. It does have the same steep learning curve of photoshop, and it's different than photoshop.
  • 06-21-2011, 12:48 PM
    jmbarry4450@aol.com
    Hello to all on this forum. I am new at this and need some help. I have a digital compact camera 8.1 megapixels that I have had for 5 years. I am now getting a message on my screen " MEMORY CARD IS WRITE ONLY'. I can not delete it and the camera will not function. HELP
  • 06-21-2011, 04:04 PM
    OldClicker
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jmbarry4450@aol.com View Post
    Hello to all on this forum. I am new at this and need some help. I have a digital compact camera 8.1 megapixels that I have had for 5 years. I am now getting a message on my screen " MEMORY CARD IS WRITE ONLY'. I can not delete it and the camera will not function. HELP

Some memory cards have a little movable tab that protects the data. See if yours does and set it the other way. - Terry
  • 06-21-2011, 04:52 PM
    jmbarry4450@aol.com
    Quote:

Originally Posted by OldClicker View Post
    Some memory cards have a little movable tab that protects the data. See if yours does and set it the other way. - Terry

Thanks Terry, but no tap. I'll buy a new memory card and see if they will help.
  • 06-22-2011, 11:07 AM
    freygr
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jmbarry4450@aol.com View Post
    Thanks Terry, but no tap. I'll buy a new memory card and see if they will help.

It's a slide switch, or the contacts on the card or in the camera need cleaning. If you have a card reader you can use it to test the cards read/write function. Memory cards do ware out also but now days it's up to and over 10^6 writes on the newer cards. I remember when they first came out the writes were only 10^3 and 256 bits of memory.