Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Requirerments to print 24x36 inch canvas prints

How do I know if the file I have will print a 24x36 inch print and come out good. What are the requirements for this size pint? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Re: Requirerments to print 24x36 inch canvas prints

The printing trade's general requirement is 300 dots per inch. That would mean an image 7200x10800 pixels for a 24 x 36 inch print.

However with inkjet printers you don't really get any benefit from going beyond 233 dots per inch, which is what I usually work with. That would mean 5592 x 8388 pixels for a 24 x 36 print.

These are the maximum requirements. There are other factors that allow you to get away with less:

- Canvas is rough and can't show as much detail as a glossy paper
    - The bigger the print the further away you stand to view it. Comes a moment where you can't even see the finest detail even if it's on the print

If I were you I would give an unsharpened TIFF file in original pixel size to your lab and let them sort it out.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Re: Requirerments to print 24x36 inch canvas prints

Quote Originally Posted by Franglais View Post
    The printing trade's general requirement is 300 dots per inch. That would mean an image 7200x10800 pixels for a 24 x 36 inch print.

However with inkjet printers you don't really get any benefit from going beyond 233 dots per inch, which is what I usually work with. That would mean 5592 x 8388 pixels for a 24 x 36 print.

These are the maximum requirements. There are other factors that allow you to get away with less:

- Canvas is rough and can't show as much detail as a glossy paper
    - The bigger the print the further away you stand to view it. Comes a moment where you can't even see the finest detail even if it's on the print

If I were you I would give an unsharpened TIFF file in original pixel size to your lab and let them sort it out.
    Thanks Charles, I have a customer that wants fourteen 24x36 inch prints, seven 16x20 inch pints and a few smaller ones that will all be on canvas. They are for a credit union that is opening up a new branch. We are doing a walk through Wednesday to make sure we have everything right before I order. Thanks again, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thread Information