• 03-08-2013, 11:01 AM
    Grandpaw
    Requirerments to print 24x36 inch canvas prints
    How do I know if the file I have will print a 24x36 inch print and come out good. What are the requirements for this size pint? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Jeff
  • 03-08-2013, 11:50 PM
    Franglais
    Re: Requirerments to print 24x36 inch canvas prints
    The printing trade's general requirement is 300 dots per inch. That would mean an image 7200x10800 pixels for a 24 x 36 inch print.

However with inkjet printers you don't really get any benefit from going beyond 233 dots per inch, which is what I usually work with. That would mean 5592 x 8388 pixels for a 24 x 36 print.

These are the maximum requirements. There are other factors that allow you to get away with less:

- Canvas is rough and can't show as much detail as a glossy paper
    - The bigger the print the further away you stand to view it. Comes a moment where you can't even see the finest detail even if it's on the print

If I were you I would give an unsharpened TIFF file in original pixel size to your lab and let them sort it out.
  • 03-09-2013, 07:27 AM
    Grandpaw
    Re: Requirerments to print 24x36 inch canvas prints
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Franglais View Post
    The printing trade's general requirement is 300 dots per inch. That would mean an image 7200x10800 pixels for a 24 x 36 inch print.

However with inkjet printers you don't really get any benefit from going beyond 233 dots per inch, which is what I usually work with. That would mean 5592 x 8388 pixels for a 24 x 36 print.

These are the maximum requirements. There are other factors that allow you to get away with less:

- Canvas is rough and can't show as much detail as a glossy paper
    - The bigger the print the further away you stand to view it. Comes a moment where you can't even see the finest detail even if it's on the print

If I were you I would give an unsharpened TIFF file in original pixel size to your lab and let them sort it out.

Thanks Charles, I have a customer that wants fourteen 24x36 inch prints, seven 16x20 inch pints and a few smaller ones that will all be on canvas. They are for a credit union that is opening up a new branch. We are doing a walk through Wednesday to make sure we have everything right before I order. Thanks again, Jeff