Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Quantaray Flash Question

I have a Quantaray PZ-1 DSZ flash with a NK module. This was for my Nikon N65 35 mm camera. I made a wrong assumption that it would work with my new Nikon D3100 DSLR.

Now that they are no longer in business I can't locate the correct module.

Does anyone know if they ever made a module for the D3100 or am I out of luck?

Re: Quantaray Flash Question

It's possible it would work in a manual mode but not the TTL auto mode. It was explained to me a few weeks ago that digital SLRs and film SLRs read TTL flash differently, because the image sensor reflects less light than a film surface. This came up because I mentioned being surprised that my SB-600 works correctly on my F4. Someone mentioned that the new flash works fine on the old camera, but an old flash (like the SB-24 I had on my n8008) would not work correctly on a digital SLR.

Of course, in manual mode, you'd have to calculate f-stop based the flash's guide number, ISO in use, and the subject distance.

Thread Information