Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Minolta X370 Shutter-Problem Fix HERE!

The BIG Minolta Shutter Problem Fix Secret EXPOSED!

The Minolta X-Series have been infamous for having their shutters "stuck" and without the film advancing. The LEDS will light up correctly but the film just wouldn't plain advance when you hit the shutter release button. Frustrating to say the least..but alas..alll is not lost. This has been a very common problem and I'll tell you why.

The X-Series, and other possible makers, contains a/an electrolytical capacitor with 1000 hrs of working voltage. When the capacitor reaches its limit it may fail (bulge/corrode). Whether this was an intentional design concept by Minolta is unknown..yeah right! Basically these capacitors hold a small magnetic charge and that when you hit the shutter release it reverses polarity and allows the film to expose, advance, blah, blah, blah..

OK! What I'm going to explain here will save you anywhere from $10 - $200 (meaning you could buy this info. on Ebay or take your X370 to get fixed at a shop). Vendors on Ebay are hocking this info. from $5 and on up..some are actually bidding on this stuff..DON'T DO IT! They will tell you that it's impossible to locate their "product" which consists of new capacitors and the service/repair manual. Well it took some time and research but I have located everything you need so..

Here it is and ENJOY!

1. Download the X370 manuals from http://www.geocities.com/eskoufos/fmm.html. Cost: FREE!

2. Go to http://www.digikey.com/digihome.html. The part number for the capacitor for the Minolta X370 is: P954-ND (Panasonic P/N is ECE-A0GKS221). The actual spec. on the capacitor is: 4v 220uF @ 85 deg. C(entigrade) (6.3X5X2.5 mm).Cost: $7.00 (includes S/H, min. order was 10 pieces @ $2.00 and they charge $5 for S/H)

3. Unscrew the bottom of the camera (4 little screws) and locate the bad capacitor. It's probablu bulging or leaking.

4. If you don't have one, you need a soldering pen and some standard electrical solder. (Go to Radio Shack or any Hardware store)

5. Remove the old capacitor and then solder on a new capacitor. That's it!

Total time: 20 mins.
    Total cost: $7

Re: Minolta X370 Shutter-Problem Fix HERE!

Congratulations on figuring out the infamous Shutter Capacitor problem.

Now that you know how it's done, you could supplement your income by offering the service at $40 a pop, as some have done. No telling just how many perfectly good cameras are sitting around "dead" because their owners haven't bothered to 'dig a little deeper'.

A similar issue that most people don't know about, involves a Lithium battery used for memory backup in the Maxxums. These need replacing after about 15 years (roughly), and are easily accessed though well hidden. The battery itself is fairly cheap - and shops charge $40 on average to change it.

I wouldn't point to either 'problem' as being an intentional design item or a particular weakness - just a long term maintenance item to be aware of. Other makes have similar issues, and scattered others of their own, on a comparable timetable. It's just a simple fact of life that certain parts WILL fail with age - and that is especially true of electrical components.

Thanks. I was just excited that I could do this on my own. It was indeed hard to find a distributer/supplier for the caps. RadioSmack doesn't carry it. Anyway hopefully X370 owners can now rejoice. You're right though I bet there are a bunch of X370's out there that have been abandoned because of this.

You're right. That and the Maxxum battery deal, are two of the most popular 'newbie' queries on the Minolta groups. And many cameras (all makes) that you find listed on eBay as 'doesn't work - don't know why' turn out to be something just as simple.

The BIG Minolta Shutter Problem Fix Secret EXPOSED!

Thank you so much!!! I registered to this site just to send you my biggest words of thanks!

It seems everyone is out to make a buck these days, but you've shown the love of the camera above the love the dollar. Best wishes to you!

Hi Pointbreak, Thanks for posting this! Very cool of you!

I have an X-370 that has been in the closet for a few years because it's broken, but I'm not sure if your fix pertains to my problem. Please tell me if you think your fix will address my problem:

I haven't noticed a shutter problem because I can't load film. When you first put the film in, attach it to the winder, and pull the lever to advance the film, it doesn't advance. It's like the lever is stripped out. When there's no film and you pull the lever, the winder turns, but with resistance, such as actual film, it doesn't budge. This happened once before, and I sent it off to get it fixed. When it happened the second time, I gave up and bought a new camera. Do you think this is related to the capacitor problem, or do you know somewhere else I can search for a fix?

Thanks!
    Paul

Hello! I am having the same problem with two Minolta X-370s and I have absolutely no idea how to solder.. I was just wondering if there was a chance of you or anyone else on this forum having a video showing the process of replacing a capacitor to give someone with no experience a little hope for fixing their cameras? I would be so very thankful if anyone can help.

Thanks alot photophorus it really helped me alot.

I was just excited that I could do this on my own. It was indeed hard to find a distributer/supplier for the caps. RadioSmack doesn't carry it. Anyway hopefully X370 owners can now rejoice. You're right though I bet there are a bunch of X370's out there that have been abandoned because of this.

This capacitor is used to boost the current used to fire the solenoid that releases the shutter. Those little batteries contain enough energy to release the shutter but can't deliver it at the same time so some is stored in the capacitor. By the way I have read that the X series of cameras including the XD, XG, and XE's all use these capacitors and contain three of them. This had nothing to do with planned obsolescence but these capacitors had a shelf life of ten years and an operating life of five years. I used to work in the repair center of an industrial controls company and those are the figures we used for electrolytic capacitors and they didn't make them as good then as they do now. Some of the electrolyte formulas weren't nearly as good then. That is the liquid they were filled with. However when they leak it is sometimes because the rubber they are sealed with has rotted and leaked.

I have written a step by step procedure for the XG series. I have not done an X camera but I did find photos of the X series. They are similar but not the same. They have the same type of board but a much more complex board. If some one can tell me how to post a file on here I will post the procedure for the XG series.

The information you share is great and useful to me and many others. It is closely related to my work and has helped me grow.
    vex 3

Alas, these cameras seem to suffer from failures of the larger capacitors leaking. You can try replacing the batteries, but it will likely require professional attention.

Thread Information