Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Remote time laps of snowy field

Hello all,

I am working on a research project that will involve monitoring snow in a remote field throughout a couple of years. Currently, I envision a camera, that takes a picture of the field every hour, mounted high in a tree. The region where I will be working can have temperature fluctuations of -30 degrees to +90 degrees, so the camera must be durable and waterproof. Also, as this is an academic research project, the cost needs to be reasonable. The Canon EOS 60D DSLR Camera has been recommended but I'm looking I'm looking to sous out my best options and want other opinions. Also, I was told that I'll need a intervalometer...what is this and is it possible to be part of the actual camera unit? Thank you for any advice and recommendations!

jm

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: Remote time laps of snowy field

Have you looked at The Extreme Ice Survey website? You may find some helpful tips there.

An intervalometer is a device that you program to trip the shutter on your camera and a specific time. In your case, you would set it to trip the shutter every 60 minutes. They are available for most DSLR's. I would suggest buying a Pelican case to mount your camera in to protect it from the weather. I think your biggest problem is going to be battery life. You will either need a constant power source such as an AC adapter that you can plug into an outlet, or a way to recharge the batteries in the field. You may be able to get a solar recharger that you can rig to charge the batteries during the day.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Fluctuations of -30 to +90?! Within the same day? Anyway - I'm afraid that wouldn't work, the camera will not really work at 30 below zero. Even if it does at first, its highly advisable NOT to. The 60D is not waterproof, though, you can get waterproof cases for any DSLR.

This is an intervalometer - http://cgi.ebay.com/Timer-Remote-Cor...item4ce9ae4f5a

*edit - okay, so, if it fluctuates that much, how does the snow stay there?

A insulated inclosure with a heater thermostatically controlled to mount the camera in would be in order. The inclosures roof over hang would protect the lens from icing up and the heater would keep the camera from failing in the cold weather. If there is not any AC power then large batteries and trips to exchange the batteries would be required.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Thread Information