Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

How Durable Are SLRs?

I was wondering just how durable to dirt/dust/moisture SLR cameras are? I'm not talking those $1,500 bodies , but something along the lines of my Elan 7. How much can they take, in terms of mist, light drizzles, & dusty/sandy enviornments, before it ends up effecting the camera? Are there any precautions one could take, or any devices to shield against the damage?

I'm thinking of spending $1,200 on a Canon 300mm L lens, and wasn't sure if I'd be better off just replacing my camera body, and then getting the lens at a later time. Opinion?
    I shoot at a lot of beaches, and at some point in the future I plan to visit Europe & Asia, so something reliable would be nice.

All replies welcome.

Toon Army Foot Soldier straightarm's Avatar

They are adequate enough

provided you look after them.

For example if you're in the rain, keep the camera covered over when your not shooting. If it gets some rain on it wipe it off with a cloth. A hankerchief is fine.

In dusty conditions, just make sure you you usr your body to shield the camea from the dust when changing film or lenses, or use your camera bag to do these.

Also after use, make sure you clean your camera. Use a blower brush or can of compressed air to clean out the mirror box and the film chamber. Use a lens cleaning cloth to keep the lens and viewfinder eyepiece clean.

I've used EOS cameras for 12 years, first an EOS5 and now an EOS3 and nrver had any problems. I even managed todrop the EOS5 at one point, putting a small crack in the body. It still worked perfectly.

On the lens versus body question; what would a better body allow you to that you can't do now? If there is something important then get the body. If not get the lens.

Simon
    Simon, bombadier 1st class

Canon EOS 3 if you can afford the extra dollars and are wanting to stay with film, although the new EOS 33 sounds interesting as well, replacement for the EOS30/ELAN 7 camera series but it has new focusing system in it. Basically the EOS10D is an EOS30/ELAN 7 focusing system, pitty they didn't update it when they released the camera.

I think you will find the EOS3 better protected for the dust, etc. Used by Pro photographers a lot, who don't want to spend the dollars on the big cameras that cost an arm and a leg.

Pretty durable...but here's another way to look at it.

I use Nikon gear, and have considered this same issue; go with a $1,000 pro-body, or stick with a good consumer quality body. Time and again I've decided to stick with my trusty N-80. Here's why.

First off, my N-80s have been very reliable cameras for me under a wide range of conditions. I'm not going an extended journey's down (up) the Amazon, but I do a lot of rough hiking with them.

Two, from a reliability stand point, two cameras are better than one...and still less than the price of one pro body. If I drop an F-100 off a cliff, it probably won't survive. If I drop one of my N-80s off a cliff, I still have a second one as back-up. And having two bodies is really nice in other ways too.

Three, since I'm paying less than $350 for an N-80. I would never pay more than that to repair one. They're more of a disposable item than a high-end body would be. Since camera body prices are dropping these days, I figure that I'm probably better off going this route, than investing in a potentially more permanent camera. i'd rather put the money in high quality lenses.

--Jeff

Talking Great Reasoning Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff82
    I use Nikon gear, and have considered this same issue; go with a $1,000 pro-body, or stick with a good consumer quality body. Time and again I've decided to stick with my trusty N-80. Here's why.

First off, my N-80s have been very reliable cameras for me under a wide range of conditions. I'm not going an extended journey's down (up) the Amazon, but I do a lot of rough hiking with them.

Two, from a reliability stand point, two cameras are better than one...and still less than the price of one pro body. If I drop an F-100 off a cliff, it probably won't survive. If I drop one of my N-80s off a cliff, I still have a second one as back-up. And having two bodies is really nice in other ways too.

Three, since I'm paying less than $350 for an N-80. I would never pay more than that to repair one. They're more of a disposable item than a high-end body would be. Since camera body prices are dropping these days, I figure that I'm probably better off going this route, than investing in a potentially more permanent camera. i'd rather put the money in high quality lenses.

--Jeff
    Logical, and well thought out. Being a fellow N80 shooter, I can really appreciate, and validate everything you said about the camera. The N80 is called the Baby F100, but for the price of an F100 you can get three N80's. Easy to do that math!
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Thread Information