Recent purchase

Printable View

• 03-13-2004, 01:05 PM
    Junior7
    Recent purchase
    I am very new to photography and I had a tough time choosing my first real camera. After much debating I chose the Canon Rebel Ti over the Nikon N75. I've read the reviews and talked to a few people that know a bit more than me about cameras, but I'd like to hear what some of you think about the Rebel Ti. Is there anything I should be aware of, or should I cancel my order and go with the Nikon? :) Any information is good information at this point, so I'd like to hear some. Thanks
  • 03-13-2004, 07:00 PM
    Michael Fanelli
    Both...
    Both are excellent cameras. There is no one best choice so don't waste time overthinking the decision.
  • 03-14-2004, 07:57 AM
    another view
    You'll probably wonder every time you buy a piece of equipment if you're doing the right thing. Don't worry, with either brand you can't go wrong.
  • 03-15-2004, 06:42 AM
    h2oskierc
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Junior7
    I am very new to photography and I had a tough time choosing my first real camera. After much debating I chose the Canon Rebel Ti over the Nikon N75. I've read the reviews and talked to a few people that know a bit more than me about cameras, but I'd like to hear what some of you think about the Rebel Ti. Is there anything I should be aware of, or should I cancel my order and go with the Nikon? :) Any information is good information at this point, so I'd like to hear some. Thanks

I love my Ti! It is a great first camera, and I am sure you will enjoy it. That being said, I would like to upgrade to the Elan 7NE when that comes out in April, but that is purely a silly thing on my part. Canon makes great equipment (as does Nikon), and there are a wide range of accessories available for their cameras. Now you get to start thinking about lenses, flashes, and all that other stuff.

One word of advice would be to buy a UV (or haze) filter for all your lenses. It will protect the front glass from scratching, and won't modify your picture, except by reducing haze. I would also invest in a good photography book. I particular like The Basic Book of Photography by Tom and Michelle Grimm.

Enjoy!
  • 03-15-2004, 07:56 AM
    Michael Fanelli
    No...
    Quote:

Originally Posted by h2oskierc
    One word of advice would be to buy a UV (or haze) filter for all your lenses. It will protect the front glass from scratching, and won't modify your picture, except by reducing haze.

No, it will not reduce haze. This is a common misconception. The "haze" being referred to is not haze in the air. In the old days, fiilm was sensitive to UV light and that caused a bluish haze on slides. That is no longer the case as film has changed over the past couple of decades.

"Protective" filters are a personal choice that has had more than a few arguements about their value on this site. If a protective filter is chosen, it should be the very best to limit the degradation of the image.