Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Thread: Raynox DCR-250

Raynox DCR-250

hey all,

I currently own a Canon S5, and wanted to upgrade a little..
    Will this lens work well for the S5?
    All I need is a lens adaptor so I could attach the DCR-250 onto it, right?

Will this lens be good on any camera? If I will upgrade..

This lens has only one type, right? Because on EBay I see "DCR-250 for 550D" and many more, so I can't tell if it's just to get people pay more or does it have different models of this lens.

Thank you.

Re: Raynox DCR-250

These are add lenses. There are made to either make the lens short or longer. Many are not the best (image quality). The add on lens must be designed to work with your camera otherwise there can be major optical problems.

The adapter must hold the lens at the correct distance, the rear optic of the lens must be larger than fixed zoom lens.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Didn't get answers for my questions..
    Ok, w\e.. add on lens.

You are talking generaly on add on lenses and not on the DCR-250.

I have a Raynox Lens for my Nikon D40. It's a fair-to-middlin lens made by a thrid party manufacturer. You better check the adaptability to Canon. At any rate it will probably be manual/step down.

I know that people use it on the S5.. It's a universal lens or add on lens or what ever you'd like to call it.
    But is it a smart thing to do?

I can't answer for whether it's any good, not having one, but I'm not clear if you understand what it's for. All you're asking is it is worth doing, is it a smart thing, etc. You haven't asked if it's a good macro lens, so I'm not clear that you know what macro means.

It's not an extension to your zoom capability like a teleconverter, giving you a longer lens than you had before. It's more for getting up close with small objects, allowing you to photograph tiny items up close and personal. Make a stamp fill the frame, shoot bugs, that sort of thing.

If that's what you're looking for, then it appears to be a nice piece of kit.

If what you're actually after is longer reach than you currently have, then this isn't the thing you need.

GRF

Panorama Madness:

Quote Originally Posted by wfooshee View Post
    I can't answer for whether it's any good, not having one, but I'm not clear if you understand what it's for. All you're asking is it is worth doing, is it a smart thing, etc. You haven't asked if it's a good macro lens, so I'm not clear that you know what macro means.

It's not an extension to your zoom capability like a teleconverter, giving you a longer lens than you had before. It's more for getting up close with small objects, allowing you to photograph tiny items up close and personal. Make a stamp fill the frame, shoot bugs, that sort of thing.

If that's what you're looking for, then it appears to be a nice piece of kit.

If what you're actually after is longer reach than you currently have, then this isn't the thing you need.
    Yeah I know mate, I'v also seen a couple of videos on youtube..
    All I ask is how it fits on the S5, both physicaly and digitaly.
    Thanks, I'v seen it before, but would help me getting answers here as well.

The link I posted gives the filter thread range the DCR-250 will connect to. If the S5 does not have filter threads you will need to purchase an adapter.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Quote Originally Posted by Don Schaeffer View Post
    I have a Raynox Lens for my Nikon D40. It's a fair-to-middlin lens made by a thrid party manufacturer. You better check the adaptability to Canon. At any rate it will probably be manual/step down.
    I'm sorry. I made a mistake. I have the Raynox Macro converter for my D40. It works very well on any focal length lens giving magnification of 1:1 or better. Sharpness is diminished at the edges, however. It's a very inexpensive way to get a macro lens.

ok, but I need to know how it works on the S5 from people who use it on the S5..
    I mean.. on the S5 I have a very limited range of aperture (2.7 to 8 I think), will it be ok or will it make the DOF so shallow that it's not worth buying.
    You see? I want to know stuff like that..

The one I have uses a spring mount, like a lens cap.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Schaeffer View Post
    The one I have uses a spring mount, like a lens cap.
    And that's why it is called "UNIVERSAL".
    But that's not answering any questions I have man..

The photo of Canon S5 at Link: Canon Powershot S5is Review: Digital Photography Review

Does not show any way to mount any filters or auxiliary Lenses. There are not any threads to use for mounting.

To use the Raynox DCR-250 auxiliary Lens you will need an adapter and all the remarks about image quality will still stand.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

The DCR-250 has a universal adapter. All I need is a simple metal adatper tube for the S5, no?
    And the DCR-250 just sits on it.. without any threads or anything.. just clamps on the tube.
    Am I right?

And about the S5 at the image..
    There is a ring on the camera that comes out and I can attach a tube or something to the threads there..

When the lens extends, attaching any thing to the extend lens tube is asking for terrible, as it is not designed to support the extra weight and may cause damage.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Thread Information