Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

RAW Download Speeds sooo slow

Is there anyway to speed up the download speed of Raw images from camera to computer. To down load 1GB of Raw images (124images) from camera to computer it is taking over 1 hour. I most be missing something here seems way to slow. It is using the Canon utility software.

Ray Still

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

Re: RAW Download Speeds sooo slow

Fast cards with fast card readers.

Some camera's can transfer pretty quickly too so maybe all you need is a faster card. With my Sandisk Extreme III 2GB cards I can transfer a full 2gigs in just a couple minutes.

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Use a card reader instead of the camera.
    Use the operating system file copy instead of the application software.
    Should get it down under 10 minutes if you have a USB 2 card reader.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

its happen to me a couple time but I loaded my file with a sandis reader. I fix that problem by order me a Lexar professional UDMA reader and no problem since

I have only used the camera as a reader if the card reader did not like the card. I use Nikon and CF card mainly but if I use my daughters D80 or my other daughters SD card PS, then the older card reader I have doesn't like the larger SD cards. I have not normally found any speed problems using the camera to computer connection.

If you are running Windows XP with less than a Gig of RAM please upgrade you memory now.

But I have to agree with the other members on this you need to get a card reader. The readers now days are very inexpensive some are even less than $10.00.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

The problem could be that the camera is a USB 1.1 device, but an inexpensive card reader and a computer that's less than 4-5 years old should both be USB 2.0. That will get you download speeds many times faster than USB 1.1. If either the computer or the device plugged into it is USB 1.1, it's the weak link of the chain so you get slower downloads. Plus, with the card reader you won't use the camera's batteries.

Thread Information