Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Questions for Paris PMA?

It's the Salon de la Photo this weekend. I am making a list of questions to ask the bright young things on the manufacturers stands. Anybody got any questions they want me to ask?

Here's my list of things to discover:

Nikon: How does the focussing work on the new "1" series with both phase detect and contrast detect? When does it do which?
    Nikon: Which are the "weather-sealed" lenses to go with the "weather-sealed" bodies? How to define a "weather-sealed" lens? If you had to do a shoot in rain then which body/lens combination would you choose?
    Nikon: Do you think that the new generation of FX lenses is really up to the definition of the latest bodies (24Mpix or even 36Mpix). Would you consider the 28-300VR to be usable by a professional with these bodies? How about the 24-120 f4?
    Sony: Check out the electronic viewfinder on the 24Mpix NEX device

Any other questions? (Don't ask for the release dates on cameras, they never know..)

Afterthought:

Lowepro: Check out the new bags
    Olympus: User interface on the Pen but if it doesn't have a "real" viewfinder I'm not interested
    Canon: Check out the S100 compact
    Nikon: Try the 40mm f2.8 macro (buy it if possible)
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Re: Questions for Paris PMA?

The EVF on the Nex7 is a big one for me as well since I will get one soon. The A77 as well since I have one pre ordered.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Charles, the list looks interesting to me, nothing else to add

Nikon: How does the focussing work on the new "1" series with both phase detect and contrast detect? When does it do which?
    >> Couldn't find Isabelle the person who knows everthing so no answer

Nikon: Which are the "weather-sealed" lenses to go with the "weather-sealed" bodies? How to define a "weather-sealed" lens? If you had to do a shoot in rain then which body/lens combination would you choose?
    >> All lenses will let water in around the zoom ring and other places like that. Best to be sensible and keep the camera and lens under cover as far as possible

Nikon: Do you think that the new generation of FX lenses is really up to the definition of the latest bodies (example: D3X). Would you consider the 28-300VR to be usable by a professional with these bodies? How about the 24-120 f4?
    >> If you use the 28-300 at f8-f11 then you will get satisfactory results. The definition will not be as good as the 24-70 etc. but you don't have to carry around a huge bag. The best compromise between portability and quality is the 24-120 f4.

Sony: Check out the electronic viewfinder on the 24Mpix NEX device
    >> Gaudy colours, lacks clarity and there is un unpleasant shimmering effect sometimes. I looked at 2 24Mpix NEX's, one 24Mpix DSLR's and two Nikon V1's for comparison. Also talked to some other civilians. There is no doubt. On the cameras on display (could be prototypes) the Nikon beats the Sony hands down, no contest

Lowepro: Check out the new bags
    Edit>> I noticed the Photo Sport bag from Lowe Pro. If was still running then that would be a good choice, it's cute and light

Olympus: User interface on the Pen: Couldn't find one with an electronic viewfinder

Canon: Check out the S100 compact: New metal body seems smaller then the S95

Nikon: Try the 40mm f2.8 macro (buy it if possible): Got it at a special price. Pleased
    Charles

Charles, was the EVF on the Sony DSLR better than the Nex or about the same? Also was the Nex EVF small and hard to look through?
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

I think that the viewfinder on the Sony DSLR might be bigger. I remember noticing the size of it and all the information along the edges. But the viewfinder on the NEX is big as well, about the same as the Nikon V1.

The image through these electronic viewfinders is about the same size as the one in my D300 i.e. comfortable. It's much better than the pokey view I used to get through my D70 or D60. I can easily see the expression on people's faces so that I know when to shoot.

Both the NEX cameras that I held had the 24mm f1.4 lens fitted, which made a nice little package. I was expecting a big crowd around the Sony 24 Mpix devices but in fact I could pick up the cameras almost immediately (unlike the Nikon stand).
    Charles

Thanks again Charles. I kind of thought Nikon would have something up their sleeves. Did you see any high ISO V1 shots? I would think they would be very clean.

Sony a99/a7R

I haven't seen any results from the V1 yet. I told the demonstrator that it didn't interest me because there were no knurled wheels front and back to control the camera, that I didn't need a camera that did 10 shots at once. He said that Nikon were trying to change the way people did pictures, and that you can turn off the multi-shot option.

I have heard from another source that the sensor on the 1 series is remarkable. Perhaps I should give it at try.

However it does seem to me that all these little cameras including the V1 with the 10mm pancake lens are still pretty deep. I wouldn't call any of them "pocketable". Whereas the Canon S100 with its metal case is almost like an iPhone. That's more the sort of format I'm looking for to have in my bag.
    Charles

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary View Post
    Charles, was the EVF on the Sony DSLR better than the Nex or about the same? Also was the Nex EVF small and hard to look through?
    More feedback on the EVF in the Sony DSLR. I spoke with a salesman at my local supplier - who was also at the Salon yesterday. He has a Nikon D700 already. He was able to borrow an A77 for a weekend and now he is totally sold on it. He says it's not perfect (viewfinder lacks contrast? Not my observation..) but he's still got one on order.
    Charles

Quote Originally Posted by Franglais View Post
    More feedback on the EVF in the Sony DSLR. I spoke with a salesman at my local supplier - who was also at the Salon yesterday. He has a Nikon D700 already. He was able to borrow an A77 for a weekend and now he is totally sold on it. He says it's not perfect (viewfinder lacks contrast? Not my observation..) but he's still got one on order.

Thanks Charles that makes me feel better about my pre orderer. I already have Lightroom updated. I may call in sick.a couple of days once I get it.lol
    It will probably to late to catch fall colors though.

Sony a99/a7R

Thread Information