• 08-17-2004, 06:01 AM
    shesells
    Question in regard to filters...
    Hi guys, I have some of the basic filters left over from my Rebel 2000. ( NDx4, CPL, CS, Skylight, UV, etc.) They just happen to be 58mm which is the same size my digi cam takes. (Sony f717) My question is this. Do photographers usually use filters with digital cameras. I read somewhere that they interfere with the way digitals focus. I was also told not to keep the skylight on my digital for protection like I did my SLR. I'm getting ready to go on a trip and don't want to come home with all soft pics from using the filters, so any suggestions would be appreciated. Do they it interfere with the way digitals focus? I especially liked using the polarizer and ND with my SLR and would love to continue with my digital unless its a no-no.
    Thanks, Kit
  • 08-17-2004, 06:21 AM
    another view
    You can use these filters on a digital camera. I've never heard of or had a problem, but you should probably try it out before you go just to be sure. The CPL and ND would be most useful of the group (what's a CS?) - the effect of these two can't be replicated in Photoshop.

UV and skylight filters are usually used for protection - some people believe in them, some don't. If your camera is on auto white balance, then it will neutralize the effect of a skylight filter so it's basically going to do the same thing as a UV filter.
  • 08-17-2004, 06:32 AM
    shesells
    Another...
    Quote:

Originally Posted by another view
    You can use these filters on a digital camera. I've never heard of or had a problem, but you should probably try it out before you go just to be sure. The CPL and ND would be most useful of the group (what's a CS?) - the effect of these two can't be replicated in Photoshop.

UV and skylight filters are usually used for protection - some people believe in them, some don't. If your camera is on auto white balance, then it will neutralize the effect of a skylight filter so it's basically going to do the same thing as a UV filter.

Gee, thanks for anwering so quickly. I take a lot of pics at the beach, so I just wanted to keep the skylight on for protection but don't want it to mess with my white balance. I do change the white balance quite frequently and use cards so maybe not a good idea. I'm not even sure what the uv actually does so I'll just forget it. I'm thrilled to know that I can still use the CPL and ND as I have tried to do it in ps but it looks hokey. BTW the CS is just that Star filter for starlike effects with light. lol I'm sure it would work. I would have just tried the filters out to check but the problem is that the camera is so new to me that I wouldn't know how the pics normally would look. Whenever I try to do a test, I always forget which is which..lol Kind of a scatterbrain photographer..heh
    Thanks so much,
    ~ Kit
  • 08-17-2004, 09:29 AM
    Asylum Steve
    CS = Cross Screen = Star filter...
    Steve,

Cool photogs call a star filter by its real name: cross screen filter... :D