Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Question on Close-up lenses

I needing to purchase close-up lenses for my Nikkor 60mm macro lens. I'd also like to get a set for my Nikkor 180 2.8. I'm wondering if there would be a problem just getting one set of 72mm close-up lenses, and then using a 62mm step-down ring to use them on my 60mm lens.

I know this works well be regular filters, but does this in anyway distort the optics of close-up lenses?

Thanks in advance,

--Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff82
    I needing to purchase close-up lenses for my Nikkor 60mm macro lens. I'd also like to get a set for my Nikkor 180 2.8. I'm wondering if there would be a problem just getting one set of 72mm close-up lenses, and then using a 62mm step-down ring to use them on my 60mm lens.

I know this works well be regular filters, but does this in anyway distort the optics of close-up lenses?

Thanks in advance,

--Jeff
    I'm not an expert on close-up lens by a long shot and own only one which I purchased recently at a local camera swap. This was for a Pentax 67. From the literature accompaning the lens, Pentax makes 2 close-ups for the P67: One for the 105mm (normal) lens and another for the 165mm lens (equiv to an 82mm on a 35mm camera). Both lens take a 67mm front filter but each requires a different close-up lens. From this requirement I assume that each close-up is engineered for a specific focal length.

Thread Information