Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Question Font?!!

Post got screwed up by Photo-John. My apology.

Photo-John
    Last edited by Photo-John; 12-27-2005 at 02:02 PM.

Re: Fisheye's 4 cheap

The only inexpensive fisheyes I've seen (other than the one you mention) are screw-on lens adapters for compact digital cameras. I have a Nikon Coolpix and I think I picked it up for about $150 on ebay a couple years ago because getting one for my DSLR would be very expensive. For that same $500, you might be able to go this route, but I don't know of anything else.

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

I picked up a Russian made Zenitar 16mm fisheye on ebay a couple years ago. This also comes in an Olypus OM mount so it prob. doesn't help you much... I think Steve's option would be better for you. If nothing else, you can make your distortions digitally with the computer.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-FISHEYE-ZENI...QQcmdZViewItem
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

no prob for messing up the post. its just to all oher people who havent seen the frist initial question that I'm looking for a reletivly cheap fisheye lens for an olympus evolt e300 that will fit the camera. the cheapest way to get one is by getting the mentioned zenitar or this peleng lens (comes with the olympus OM mount) and get an OM to four thirds mount that fits the e300. Now to add, does anyone know where I could get a OM to four thirds cheap? and how much they usually cost because the one I saw on ebay was 150 US$ plus shipping and customs could run me about 225-245 just for the adapter. so any imput or information would be greatly apprediated. it also seems that the adapter is made by olympus so thats another reason why it might be so expensive.

Here's the answer I was trying to post when I screwed up your first post. I just noticed the word "cheap" for the first time, though. So this might all miss the point for you:

Have you looked into the Olympus Zuiko Digital 8mm Fisheye? It's not available yet. But it would be a better choice for a lot of reasons. For one, it will be a real fisheye for the Olympus Four Thirds format. Other lenses won't be. A more practical choice would be the Olympus 7-14mm zoom.

Tell us more about what you want to take pictures of and maybe we can give you some more ideas. I'd stick with the Olympus lenses, though. The quality is excellent and they're made for your camera. You might have to spend a bit more. But you won't be tempted to replace them later. So they're likely to save you money in the long run. Here's a link to the Olympus digital SLR lens reviews on this site:

Olympus Zoom Lenses: http://www.photographyreview.com/cat...28_790crx.aspx

Olympus Prime Lenses (scroll down to Olympus Zuiko Digital): http://www.photographyreview.com/cat...11_790crx.aspx

We need more reviews for the Olympus Zuiko Digital lenses. So if you can post reviews for your lenses, that would be great.

Hope that helps-
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Funny thing about this and other threads - I saw it when you posted it but didn't think I could help much so I waited for someone else to answer. Nobody did for a couple of days so I told you what I know. Now more info is coming in. Just the way these things work, I guess!

I didn't know Olympus was coming out with a Fisheye lens, but that's the way I'd go too. It will probably cost more than $500 but not by a whole lot if Nikon's lens price is any indication. Both their 16mm fisheye (mainly for 35mm cameras) and 10.5mm for digital cameras are both around $6-700.

well for you older guys out there who are helping me out with this its greatly appreciated. John said that I should tell you guys what I'm actually using it for and the images I'mtrying to create. well I am an imtermediate photographer in my own words I like to take extreme pictures of my friends skateboarding, snowboarding, and getting into our own trouble with a freerunning sport we mockument called parkour. I started out my love for photography with a canon powershot a60 back in the day it was so much fun. I had a 0.45x wide angle for it and various filters and polarisers. I always liked the fish distortion that the lenses made and thought it was amazing how some piece of glass can bend the light in ways to extend your depth perception or take it away. The reason I want a fisheye is becuase its distortion of your depth perception allows skateboard and extreme sports photographers to make the tricks look bigger by showing the subject ultimatly smaller than its surroundings. I searched for the 7mm-14mm lens that was mentioned and its WAY out of my price range. coming in at around 2500bones wont be something I'll have this point in time. I also searched on the henry's website (henry's is a canadian photography store) and they had the olympus fisheye at 999.99. its a shame that in order for beginner and intermediate photographers like myself have to shell out such great amounts of money for some things that may be a loss of interest. It definitly is an investment. As for now I guess I'll have to settle with the 14mm wide angle that comes with the camera for now as I'm saving up for a car to get me to the places that I'm gonna shoot. And thanks again to all who have helped me I really appreciate it alot.

Quote Originally Posted by picturetaker1239
    its a shame that in order for beginner and intermediate photographers like myself have to shell out such great amounts of money for some things that may be a loss of interest.
    That's why I got the one for the Coolpix. I didn't see myself using it much, and I don't. Sometimes it's a really great effect but all too often it's overused. IMO, the shot has to work for more reasons than the fact that it was taken with a fisheye (or other accessory) or the shot doesn't work.

And who are you callin' old? John is way older than me! Like a whole year, I think!

I think it may be overused for other photographic situations like taking pictures of buildings. GOD if I see another fisheye picture of a skyscraper I'm going to flip. for my purpose that I'm using it for and my photographic situations I get into a fisheye is a industry standard. next time you are you in your local magazine shop open up a skate mag and see all the shots. I would reccomend the skateboard mag because its done all by professional photographers who have made a name for themselfs bucause of the pictures they take like atiba jefferson or ryan gee. also take a look at my gallery for some "fisheye" shots I took back in teh day. I dont know how it works because I took a 2 element wide angle and took the second element and flipped it backwards. like it looks cool and I think it has a fairly decent effect. I just want to know what you think of that. its a strange concept but its exciting at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by picturetaker1239
    like it looks cool and I think it has a fairly decent effect. I just want to know what you think of that.
    I'd really like to see an example of that if you can post one, or a link to a shot. I hear you about the skyskraper fisheye shot...

here's a link to a photo I've taken with the lens on. fisheye effect

Thread Information