Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

promaster vs. hoya

hi, i recently picked up a promaster uv filter and a polarizor. and i just recently found out that putting a promaster UV filter on my R1 kinda cheaps out my lense. i was recommended a "Hoya Introductory Kit". just wondering if anyone else has any feedback on the hoya kit, or how much better the hoya kit would be than my promaster filters..

Re: promaster vs. hoya

I think Promaster is actually one of the general photo supply companies that doesn't manufacture their products; they buy them with their name on them. Not that there's anything wrong with this, but they may actually be Hoya filters.

Hoya has several different quality (and price) levels. I would guess that a filter kit would probably be their lower grade filters. I've used their HMC multi-coated filters and they have been very good, and a good deal for the money. Multi-coated filters reduce flare and help out with not losing contrast. Good ones won't alter the color if they're not supposed to (as in a neutral density filter will actually be neutral, not have a color cast to it).

I just bought a promaster UV filter. According to the guy at my camera store, promaster is hoya, just under a different branding.

Iīve heard so many time times that an X brand is made by Hoya....so far I havenīt seen any proof of what this salespersons state. Witch makes me doubtful about the subject.

Filters is one of those thing that you should be prepared to spend some money on...for me is nonsense to add a bad quality piece of glass in front of a lens.

Canon XSi
    Canon EF-S 17-85mm IS USM
    Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS
    1. "A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words."Ansel Adams
    2. "Photography is more than a medium for factual communication of ideas. It is a creative art."Ansel Adams

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Hoya makes different grades of filters. If it isn't multi-coated super its probably going to degrade your pics.
    I've been converted to the no-uv-filter camp. Not necessary on a digital and don't offer any more protection than a lens hood and/or cap.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Quote Originally Posted by Frog
    Hoya makes different grades of filters. If it isn't multi-coated super its probably going to degrade your pics.
    I've been converted to the no-uv-filter camp. Not necessary on a digital and don't offer any more protection than a lens hood and/or cap.
    I see your point Frog....anything in front of the lens will degrade the quality in some extent or another. I do have a UV filter always on...here where I live the amount of dust is unbelievable (I live in the middle of a freking desert). No doubt the filter keeps my lens cleaner.

Canon XSi
    Canon EF-S 17-85mm IS USM
    Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS
    1. "A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words."Ansel Adams
    2. "Photography is more than a medium for factual communication of ideas. It is a creative art."Ansel Adams

I keep a good quality filter on all my lenses. I rather clean the filter than the lens. A filter doesn't cost $300+.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

I tend to use 1A filters, which should be flat clear glass for lens element protection. Good filters are not cheap, but 1As are less.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by hobblyjig
    I just bought a promaster UV filter. According to the guy at my camera store, promaster is hoya, just under a different branding.
    I also was told that Promaster filters are in fact Hoya filters. This does not make it true, but it does make it possible. Sometimes it's hard to tell; sometimes it's quite easy. There are a TON of Promaster items, so I'd assume they use many different manufacturers. The same is true of Quantaray.I have the Quantaray 18-200 lens, but I refer to it as a Sigma, because it IS a Sigma. I have had a chance to compare a friend's Sigma branded version next to mine, and it is identical. Identical markings (except for the brand name), exact size and weight, and the spec sheets are the same, even printed in the same font and on the same size paper. Performance is the same. In fact, the only difference is the Quantaray did not come with a lens hood, but it does have the same grooves and threads at the top of the barrel as the Sigma, so I bought a Sigma lens hood, and of course it fits perfectly.

I have a Promaster 7500 EDF flash, I have not been able to figure out who manufactured it. Many places sell their own line of items that are made by "brand name" manufacturers. As an example, back in the mid-90's I managed a Radio Shack for a few years, and I can tell you that at least SOME of the Optimus branded audio equipment was in fact Pioneer. How do I know? Some punk pulled the little "Optimus" nameplate off of one of the receivers, and I ordered a replacement, and it came in a bag from Pioneer. I then did a little searching and I found the exact same Pioneer receiver, same body, same specs, except in this case the Pioneer version was actually about $20 less than the Optimus. This is how Radio Shack operated- new items would sell at full price for a few months, and full price was actually overpriced when compared to brand-name equipment. Then they would be put on sale or marked down a bit, so it looked like a good deal, even though the sale price was really not very competitive either. Once enough profit was made on the run the item would be discontinued and marked down a little each month until all units were gone. Then a new unit would come out to replace it and start the cycle over again. Buying the Radio Shack version DID, however, get you the ability to get service and accessories at over 7,000 stores, so that was probably worth paying a little extra for.

We also found out that most of the car stereos, crossovers, and equalizers were also made by Pioneer, although we never did find out who made the amplifiers.
    http://havanajoe08.shutterfly.com/

Olympus E-PL1

Feel free to edit my photos!

I was given a couple Promaster filters last year, as a gift, but was very disappointed with their impact on image quality. Particularly the CP filter degraded clarity significantly. Compared to a B&W or a good Hoya, it was a day and night difference. Not sure who manufactures for Promaster, but I am convinced the quality standards are lower than we want for high quality photos.
    Ken

My Website: His Creation
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." Wayne Gretzky

Quote Originally Posted by Frog

I recently became a member of that same camp. The one I still use is a circular polarizer one specially when shooting at car shows or reflective surfaces. I see nothing wrong with cleaning your lenses....

I do have a UV filter always on...here where I live the amount of dust is unbelievable (I live in the middle of a freking desert). No doubt the filter keeps my lens cleaner????

waleeed

Thread Information