• 07-24-2012, 11:40 AM
    Liz
    Problem viewing SD images....question
    Should I be able to use the same SD card on two cameras without a problem?

Since I do not have a computer that I can use for photography (until my new one arrives), I wanted to compare images taken from the EM5 and E-P3 the best way I could - on the LCD screen - not a very good way to compare, but better than nothing.

I did not format the SD card after using it with the EM5, but used the same card with the E-P3 so I could shoot the same subjects with each camera.

However, I am unable to view the EM5 images on the E-P3 screen. All I get is a thumbprint size of the first EM5 photo. I am unable to change the size or manipulate it in any way. I am also not able to move to the next photo or go anywhere as the screen freezes . I have to shut the camera off to get out of the screen.

I wanted to view the images on the E-P3 screen vs the EM5 because I know how to play with the images (magnification, etc) and the EM5 is totally different - haven't figured much out yet! :D

Anything I can do about it? If not, I'll just have to wait until I get my new computer.

Thanks for any info, comments, advice.....

Liz
  • 07-24-2012, 11:52 AM
    Grandpaw
    Re: Problem viewing SD images....question
    On a Nikon you have to g into the menu and select view all for some makes and models if you use it for more than one model of camera on the same card but I don't know about yours. Jeff
  • 07-24-2012, 12:48 PM
    armando_m
    The folder structure will likely be different between different camera brands

I tried between olympus epl1 and sony nex5n and I didn't know how to make one camera read the others folders

Unless moving the jpgs between folders i do not think you'll be able to do it, and you'll need to plug the memory on a card reader and use a computer for that ... hopefully your computer will arrive soon
  • 07-24-2012, 01:17 PM
    Greg McCary
    I think Armando is right. Each camera will make a different folder for itself on the card. Maybe you can compare viewing them on the TV. You can hook your camera to the TV and you might can run though them.
  • 07-24-2012, 01:39 PM
    Liz
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg McCary View Post
    I think Armando is right. Each camera will make a different folder for itself on the card. Maybe you can compare viewing them on the TV. You can hook your camera to the TV and you might can run though them.

I can view them on the computer - but only from Picasa. My problem with Picasa is that everytime I connect the SD card via the reader, it downloads the whole card, and sorts everything according to faces - so it takes forever to figure out which image came from which camera when 86 images download multiple times. I really need to get rid of picasa as I've never been able to use it correctly.

Actually a few months ago I googled the problems I am having with Picasa and there were quite a few others with the same complaint......after spending literally hours deleting images, the next time I went to Picasa the images were back again - only this time they were scattered throughout different folders. I haven't used it since until today - and the same thing happened.

Yes, Costco please send my new computer SOON! I ordered one that I configured myself so it is supposed to go out July 31st. However, the last one went out days early; hopefully this one will go out early! I really need to view these images where I can see the originals!

Liz
  • 07-24-2012, 02:42 PM
    Photo-John
    I think you're playing with fire. They're both Olympus cameras but one of the things that can corrupt a memory card is switching between cameras without formatting. I think you should just play it safe and wait for your new computer to arrive.
  • 07-24-2012, 03:21 PM
    Liz
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Photo-John View Post
    I think you're playing with fire. They're both Olympus cameras but one of the things that can corrupt a memory card is switching between cameras without formatting. I think you should just play it safe and wait for your new computer to arrive.

OK...case settled!

Thanks!

Liz
  • 07-27-2012, 07:48 PM
    Rivman
    I had a similar problem using HP formatted SD cards in a Canon camera. The solution was to use dedicated cards that were formatted for each camera. They both work fine when using a card reader to transfer, or view each card on the computer. Probably a good idea to use seperate formatted SD cards for each Olympus camera model.
  • 07-28-2012, 10:49 AM
    Liz
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rivman View Post
    I had a similar problem using HP formatted SD cards in a Canon camera. The solution was to use dedicated cards that were formatted for each camera. They both work fine when using a card reader to transfer, or view each card on the computer. Probably a good idea to use seperate formatted SD cards for each Olympus camera model.

Yes, thank you. I decided to do just that. I have a new Sandisk 16 Extreme that I just put in the EM5 - formatted - and will use just for that camera.

You confirmed this is the right decision so I will continue doing just that. :thumbsup:

Liz
  • 07-28-2012, 12:50 PM
    SmartWombat
    The directory structure on the card should be compatible as it conforms to the DCIM format.

But the internal data structure of the .ORF files is different between different cameras.
    That's why I had to upgrade to be able to use Lightroom 4.1 to process the OM-D E-M5 files.

Also if you have filenames set to "continue" the camera picks up the last used filename on the card and carries on from there.
    Which means you can end up with two cameras with overlapping filename numbering, confusing if you load them all into Lightroom.

I used the file name change feature to add a prefix "1" or "2" on the filenames on each body so I know which OM-D the file comes from.
    Simply 1 is the first camera I bought, 2 is the second. That leaves _ prefix as the XZ-1, which hasn't seen the light of day for a while.
    The E-P1 is boxed up ready to sell ...