Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Printing questions

A few questions if I may. First, would there be much of a quality difference from printing my pictures through smugmug(I have an account there) versus A drugstore printer like CVS or walmart? Second, Should I be printing the jpegs or raw versions? Thanks for any info or helpful links you might have,

Shawn

Re: Printing questions

As for the second part:

You cannot print a RAW- it isn't usable until it is rendered. You then save it as an image file such as jpg, tiff or psd.

You will need to give the printer whatever file format they require or else they will just convert it anyway.

TF
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Quote Originally Posted by OldClicker
    As for the second part:

You cannot print a RAW- it isn't usable until it is rendered. You then save it as an image file such as jpg, tiff or psd.

You will need to give the printer whatever file format they require or else they will just convert it anyway.

TF
    Ok, I did not know that. So J-peg it is

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

To answer the first part of your question about printer quality, the answer is maybe. You should do a test and upload the same file to each company and order the same print. You should be able to see a difference between them. I did this type of test a few years ago with a few different online printers. The differences were very noticeable!
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

No outside vendor can print RAW files. For the highest quality image to be printed, you adjust the RAW file then save as a 16bit per color TIFF file. But may vendors can't handle this type of file. For the best quality JPG file you have to be very careful!
    1) Copy the JPG (RAW or TIFF is the best) file to your work area and rename the file.
    2) After opening the file for editing NEVER resave as JPG or other lousy format, only TIFF, PSD or BMP
    3) Only after you are done Editing then you save as JPG with the Quality settings at Maximum, and don't forget to resave it as a TIFF, PSD or BMP
    4) Take your edited image to the printer

Note JPG files are only 8 bit per color, and the compression throws away color and resolution data. Most persons will not notice the loss but repeated openings and savings will even be noticeable over time. To preserve quality the close function must be used as the save function compresses the image data and overwrites the old image data, each time the image is compressed you lose more color and resolution.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Thread Information