Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.
    Liz

Camera SD card & Tablet-microSD slot question

I recently purchased the Galaxy 7 Plus which has a micro SD slot. My EP-3 only uses SD cards. Besides using my home computer to get images uploaded to the Tablet, is there any way I can get images from the camera SD card to the Tablet when I am away from home with no access to a pc? IOW - viewing images just shot.

I want to be able to take my camera and the Galaxy Tablet on trips - and be able to view the images I take with the camera (SD card) on the Tablet.

Is there a way to do this? I know there is an adaptor that will let the micro SD card work when there is a regular SD slot - but not the opposite.

I hope this explanation makes sense.

Thanks for any information and/or help.

Liz

Re: Camera SD card & Tablet-microSD slot question

I use this on tablet.
    Dropbox - Simplify your life
    Barry

I know they make SD adapters- essentially a case that a micro SD card fits into. Whether or not that would work with the camera's electronics is a question. But logic says it should.

Food for thought.
    I have no intention of tiptoeing through life only to arrive safely at death.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Medley View Post
    I know they make SD adapters- essentially a case that a micro SD card fits into. Whether or not that would work with the camera's electronics is a question. But logic says it should.

Food for thought.
    Yes, I found the adapters. However, checking the E-P3 manual, then the Olympus website they do not mention the adapter as an card option to use in the slot. I was told by someone that not all cameras accept the adapter (pins?). At any rate, I emailed them to inquire - the reply could take a few days.

I did find this link - which doesn't make any sense that the Sandisk card is specific for the E-P3 when nothing is on the Oly website - and the card is $1.39. Check it out, though, as it is a huge website with LOTS of electronics. What do you think?

Olympus PEN E-P3 Sandisk MicroSD & MicroSDHC to SD Card Adapter (Blue), FREE Shipping, Olympus PEN E-P3 Camera Sandisk MicroSD & MicroSDHC to SD Card Adapter (Blue)

Liz

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Vreyens View Post
    I use this on tablet.
    Dropbox - Simplify your life
    Barry
    Thanks Barry! Wow! This looks great.

The only thing is that in my situation, I will only have the Tablet with me - and the images I take while away I want to get into the Tablet first - and immediately so I can view them. The problem is I would have no "access" to the Tablet.

Now I am in the process of trying to find out if my E-P3 will accept the SD to MicroSD adaptor. Nothing on the Olympus website. I emailed them with the inquiry - the reply could take a few days.

Thanks again for the link. I will go back to it and it is a lot of food for thought.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Medley View Post

Food for thought.
    I just tried putting a MicroSD card from my ARCHOS 8G9 into a standard SD adapter and using it in my Canon S95. (The ARCHOS runs Android Honeycomb like your SAMSUNG)

The camera just creates a DCIM folder on the card with a subfolder inside it. The MicroSD card is Class 4 which is not as fast as most SDHC cards but it worked. Then I took the MicroSD card out of the adapter, slipped it into my Android tablet, used the File Manager to go to the folder and had no problem viewing the JPG's.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Franglais View Post
    I just tried putting a MicroSD card from my ARCHOS 8G9 into a standard SD adapter and using it in my Canon S95. (The ARCHOS runs Android Honeycomb like your SAMSUNG)

The camera just creates a DCIM folder on the card with a subfolder inside it. The MicroSD card is Class 4 which is not as fast as most SDHC cards but it worked. Then I took the MicroSD card out of the adapter, slipped it into my Android tablet, used the File Manager to go to the folder and had no problem viewing the JPG's.
    Thank you for "experimenting" - your outcome is very encouraging to me. I did a lot of research this afternoon. The conclusion after a lot of googling and reading is that - sometimes it works, and sometimes it does not. I am hopeful it will work. I did email Olympus with the specific question with the E-P3. I got an acknowledgement of the email stating they will respond within 48 hours.

I should have thought of this before I purchased the Galaxy, but it did not occur to me. I was just happy at the time that I could upload photos. I forgot to check to see if I could do it directly from the card/adaptor.

Thanks again......I am feeling more hopeful now! :thumbsup:
    Liz

Liz

Update: Good News!

I found a photographer that uses the E-P3 with the SD to MicroSD adapter. He said it works fine - no issues.

Apparently there is no problem as long as the card technology is the same or older than the reader technology.

Liz

:thumbsup: Nice- and good to know! Thanks Liz.
    I have no intention of tiptoeing through life only to arrive safely at death.

I also recently dealt with this issue, as I was traveling abroad and decided to get a 7" tablet rather than lug a computer around. I wanted a way to upload photos that I took with my DSLR and P&S cameras.

I ended up using an Eye-Fi card, and that worked really well, as long as you have a wireless network accessible and as long as your camera works with Eye-Fi (the E-P3 does).

Hope that helps!

-Rob

You will need a SDHC card reader as the SD card slot only will read up to 2 gig cards and will not recognize any SDHC card over 2 gig. Most of the Micro and Mini SD cards come with adapters so you can us the standard card read which supports the SDHC standard.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Thread Information