which print paper?

Printable View

• 09-01-2012, 06:12 PM
    Frog
    1 Attachment(s)
    which print paper?
    I've never printed much of my stuff but would like to start doing more.
    Found this pic from 2008 while going through files and wold like to have it printed.
    Probably by Mpix or Adorama.
    I never know which paper would work best....metallic or matte? I can't tell much difference in the example photos that would apply to this photo.
    Prints : Mpix.Com
  • 09-02-2012, 06:43 AM
    OldClicker
    Re: which print paper?
    How good will the light be and will it be covered with glass? - Terry
  • 09-02-2012, 09:52 AM
    mjs1973
    99% of what I print goes on matte paper. I do love the look of metallic paper for certain photos though. Metallic paper can make images with strong colors pop off the page better than a matte finish will. I also think black & white images look great on metallic paper.

The image you posted here looks a bit dark on my monitor so I'm not sure how much a metallic paper will help the colors pop. If this where my print, I would go with a matte finish.
  • 09-02-2012, 10:33 AM
    Frog
    Maybe I'll just order some of both

thanks guys
  • 09-04-2012, 03:28 PM
    freygr
    I total depends on size and framing. Also if you ordering what are there printing on or what is the process. Is it archival?

When I print I don't send out as getting a panorama printed can be problematic. All which I frame I print on Mate Paper. I like glossy paper for unframed prints 4 x 6 etc, but I've seen the glossy coatings yellow. And some ink jet prints I've seen have faded due to the ink not being archival.
  • 09-05-2012, 11:29 AM
    Frog
    ty, freygr....
  • 09-07-2012, 07:19 AM
    mjs1973
    Quote:

Originally Posted by freygr View Post
    getting a panorama printed can be problematic.

I found a really simple solution for for printing odd sized panos. I determine how long I want the final image to be and then enlarge the canvas size (not the image size) so that the canvas has the same aspect ration of a stand size print that come in the length that I want.

For example, if I want to make a 36" print of a pano, I will increase the canvas size so that it has a 2:3 aspect ratio, then I can order a 24x36 print. If the pano is less than 12" tall, I can get 2 identical images printed on the same 24x36 paper, giving me 2 for the price of 1. It works great and is much cheaper than having a custom size printed.
  • 09-07-2012, 11:57 AM
    freygr
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mjs1973 View Post
    I found a really simple solution for for printing odd sized panos. I determine how long I want the final image to be and then enlarge the canvas size (not the image size) so that the canvas has the same aspect ration of a stand size print that come in the length that I want.

For example, if I want to make a 36" print of a pano, I will increase the canvas size so that it has a 2:3 aspect ratio, then I can order a 24x36 print. If the pano is less than 12" tall, I can get 2 identical images printed on the same 24x36 paper, giving me 2 for the price of 1. It works great and is much cheaper than having a custom size printed.

But as I do my own printing I never have used an out side print service. For panoramas I print from Roll paper. One thing that bugs me is the Windows printer Driver is limited to 120 inches, but the Linux Driver is unlimited as to length?

The only thing I would of done different, would of purchased a wider printer than 13 inches :(
  • 09-07-2012, 01:13 PM
    Frog
    I've increased canvas size a few times and actually have cloned some things into the canvas to improve composition.