Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Black lines on picture

what cause this? that day sun behind me had len hood on and the church is white. i take one of an old house in a field and it had some on the lighter side of it no led hood attach then. pictures attach don't look like the picture open. but hope you can help. i use panasonic lumix DMC-FZ7
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Black lines on picture-musem-002.jpg   Black lines on picture-yesterday-today-running-around-004.jpg  

Not-so-recent Nikon Convert livin4lax09's Avatar

Re: Black lines on picture

to me it looks like a case of moiré. Fairly common thing in digital photography and many other things with complex patterns. My guess is that the church was not entirely white, and that there are shadows creating thin lines. those thin lines then blend together and give you strange patterns. Read more about moiré on Wikipedia

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Interesting.....now I know where those guys on tv get those ties.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Yes it is moiré, You have to blur the photo before resizing and find the amount of blur needed by trial. Now if it shows up in the original then you have to take the photo 1) closer or 2) farther back as its has to do with spacing of the ligth and dark colorations of the object being photo graphed.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Do these lines show up in the original full sized image right out of the camera when viewed at 100%? I'm guessing that they don't, or at least not anywhere near this bad. There are a lot of ways to re-size images. What software are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    Do these lines show up in the original full sized image right out of the camera when viewed at 100%? I'm guessing that they don't, or at least not anywhere near this bad. There are a lot of ways to re-size images. What software are you using?

it is window picture and fax viewer. now i got hp photosmart essential 2.01 i do have both install on computer

the second time i what out there about the same time i had the camera set to fibne (low compression)this give priorty to picture quality. the picture quality are high. the picture is bright light now i try to send a picture. the forum won't let me it said i am off line i log in for 1'000th time and tire of it i told the webmater it but no reply

If you're having trouble uploading pictures, there is some information in the Site Feedback forum, including a tutorial.

Windows viewer isn't really very good for re-sizing images. Try the HP software, or Irfanview is a pretty good - and free - program.

i use photo smart for resizing the window picture for other things

It could be the settings that you're using. In Photoshop CS, there are a couple ways to resize and the "wrong" way may not cause problems in some images but will with others - similar to what's shown here. I don't know the HP software, but if you try Irfanview then open an image, then Resize/Resample and make sure the resample box is checked.

Not only do I see the black lines on the buildings, but I also see jagged lines on the church steeple. Both of these point to the way that the image was resized. Look closely at the original images, viewed at "full size", "actual pixels" or "100%", depending on what the HP software calls it, and I'll bet that they don't have these problems.

What do you have your contrast on your camera set on? Could that cause this? Just a guess? The second one looks over sharpened.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

When viewing the exif, I see the contrast along with everything else is set at normal, with the ISO set at 80. If I think of it tomorrow, I'll take my Panasonic outside and try a couple similar shots and see what happens. I use the same camera.
    Mike
    www.specialtyphotoandprinting.com
    Canon 30D X 2, Canon 100-400L, Thrift Fifty, Canon 18-55 IS 3rd generation lens plus 430 EX II flash and Better Beamer. :thumbsup:

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce
    the second time i what out there about the same time i had the camera set to fibne (low compression)this give priorty to picture quality. the picture quality are high. the picture is bright light now i try to send a picture. the forum won't let me it said i am off line i log in for 1'000th time and tire of it i told the webmater it but no reply
    I'm sorry you are having problem but you will have to crop a 640 by 640 piece of each photo as resizing the photo you could get moiré patterns. Make sure you do not set the compression too low or high try a setting of 7 and then check the file size to make sure it's below the size limit, and if you need to try resaving the crop at the next lower setting.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Thread Information