Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Proper Camera Storage

I am planning a motorcycle trip this Fall to Glacier National Park and would like to take my Nikon camera with me but have several concerns. I'm not sure what the proper storage for the camera should be. I want to keep it dry but not to the point where condensation will occur. I'm also concerned about excessive heat when storing in a luggage bag. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Re: Proper Camera Storage

Do you have a p&s or a DSLR? If a DSLR, how many lens are you taking? I take it you have to pack light and want to be able to put it into a luggage compartment. What about a zip-lock bag? It will keep the condensation out and rain, plus you can use your clothes for padding.

James

The Randomist

you can also find a couple of those silica gel packs that come in pretty much everything nowadays and put them in whatever you're packing your camera in, especially if it's in an airtight ziploc-type bag. they will suck up the moisture that could end up forming condensation.

aparently you can put the gel packs in an oven on very low heat for a while to dry them out again if they get overly moist.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Just don't take it out, put it on top of your gear while you look for something else and then forget it when you drive off, like I did in 1988 in New Mexico.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesV
    Do you have a p&s or a DSLR? If a DSLR, how many lens are you taking? I take it you have to pack light and want to be able to put it into a luggage compartment. What about a zip-lock bag? It will keep the condensation out and rain, plus you can use your clothes for padding.

James
    I have a Nikon D40 and will only take my 18-200mm lens. I suppose a waterproof bag with gel packs would work.

Quote Originally Posted by Frog
    Just don't take it out, put it on top of your gear while you look for something else and then forget it when you drive off, like I did in 1988 in New Mexico.
    Wow, that really has to suck. When did you remember/or did you at all?

James

Quote Originally Posted by mastin1
    I have a Nikon D40 and will only take my 18-200mm lens. I suppose a waterproof bag with gel packs would work.
    Sounds good, I am sure there are other things but that will do and it's not expensive at all.

Good luck on your trip and post some pictures when you get back.

James

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JamesV
    Wow, that really has to suck. When did you remember/or did you at all?

James
    About 20 miles down the road, I think.
    Did a reverse trip very slowly hoping I could at least rescue the film and pics but never saw it again.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

How about a waterproof bag that's also breathable? I don't know if that's a good idea, but it sounds like it might be the best thing in this situation. I'm a sea kayaker and have a drybag like this for my down sleeping bag, which is made of eVent fabric (along the lines of GoreTex). The advantage here is that it's compressible (squeeze the air out of the sleeping bag as you cinch down the straps once the waterproof seal is closed) but still waterproof. You might wrap the camera in a fleece sweater and then squeeze some of the air out of it so it won't move around. Just an idea.

Here's a link to the bags which come in different sizes: REI I know Outdoor Research (a.k.a. OR) at least used to make compressible dry bags, but the breatheable fabric was only in a stripe down at the bottom. The bag I linked is better (I have both).

Thread Information