Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Are pictures on Picasa safe

I was wondering if I use Picasa if my pictures are safe or can they be gotten and used by anyone. There was a discussion about online sites already but I couldn't find it. Is there a place that I can keep my photos that does not allow others to get them and or be used and printed by others?

It was mentioned before that some of them say they have the right to use the pictures how they want. Are all of the sites set up that way including Picasa? Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Re: Are pictures on Picasa safe

You have to read the small print before you sign up.
    Section 11 is relevant:

11. Content licence from you

11.1 You retain copyright and any other rights you already hold in Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services.
    By submitting, posting or displaying the content you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive licence to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services.
    This licence is for the sole purpose of enabling Google to display, distribute and promote the Services and may be revoked for certain Services as defined in the Additional Terms of those Services.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Practically, thieves can steal your work from almost anywhere.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Quote Originally Posted by SmartWombat
    Practically, thieves can steal your work from almost anywhere.
    True, but only whatever size that shows on a monitor. On a site where you can't "right click, save", you can take a screen shot and crop out the areas around it - nothing new there. They're left with a small shot that won't make a very good print in the thought process that we all generally follow (1200 pixels wide / 300 = 4").

However - I sent a friend a shot awhile back and they printed it. That file was set at the default resolution of 72dpi, so the 533x800 I sent them made an almost 8x10. From a few feet away, that one happened to look pretty good. Good enough for most people, but anyone buying a shot (editor, agency, etc) would always want a higher resolution anyway.

So, yeah - anywhere. I don't try to make money from it so that's just something I've personally decided not to worry about.

Thanks for the replies. I was reading about someone that had several of their young children's photos end up on undesirable web sites and was very upset. I guess anything other than your computer is not safe, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Here is how I solve the issue.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/daltongang_graphix/

Now before you go "What's the point?". The point is simple. If you put your photos where 6 billion people, the current population of this planet +/- a few million, can access them then you pretty much have given them away if someone wants one.

The link to my site above contains around 8,000 to 10,000 photos and the only persons that can access them are those that I invite. They know the rules and are free to enter as they please. It is for those people, and myself that the photos were shot, not for the other 6 billion people that do not have access.

Thread Information