Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.
    Liz

SD or SDHC card? What's the dif?

Is there any difference in these two cards? I read both packages that these cards came in and cannot see a difference anywhere.

Thanks.
    Liz

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Re: SD or SDHC card? What's the dif?

Only buy SDHC if your camera specifically needs it, or works with it.

SDHC cards are High Capacity, typically 4G and larger.
    SD cards are 2G or less.

SDHC cards do not work in older cameras (like my Panasonic LZ5) or in older computers' built-in readers, or in older USB card readers.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by SmartWombat
    Only buy SDHC if your camera specifically needs it, or works with it.

SDHC cards are High Capacity, typically 4G and larger.
    SD cards are 2G or less.

SDHC cards do not work in older cameras (like my Panasonic LZ5) or in older computers' built-in readers, or in older USB card readers.
    Thanks Paul. One more question. Other than hi-capacity - are there other differences? IOW - it will only effect how many images you get with each card? Both of these cards have the same speed according to what is on the package.

Also I think the point of contact is the same on both cards.

I think the E-P1 and the Panasonic LX3 will take either card, but I'll re-check.

Liz

Physically they are the same, electronically different.

I'm not sure if high capacity is worth it, it means more photos on a small easy to lose card - and all my eggs in one basket.
    I prefer a larger number of smaller capacity cards, than a few high capacity.
    But with CF cards now at the same price for 4G that I used to pay for 2G I will probably not go looking for small CF cards any more.

I will pay more for speed, not for capacity.
    I found going up the SD Card 2G range Sandisk Ultra, Extreme etc worthwhile with my G9.
    That was a significant increase in price all at 2G size, and a decrease in shot to shot time.

Watch out for the speed/class confusion.
    The new measurement of speed of SD cards is the class.
    Video needs a high write speed and a consistent speed over a long period.
    Still photography can use cards with high burst speed, for a few megabytes (one image) but doesn't need long term high speed.

So a class 6 card for video might not be fast for stills.
    And conversely a high speed card for stills may not be suitable for video - found that out the hard way
    PAul

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by SmartWombat
    Physically they are the same, electronically different.

I'm not sure if high capacity is worth it, it means more photos on a small easy to lose card - and all my eggs in one basket.
    I prefer a larger number of smaller capacity cards, than a few high capacity.
    But with CF cards now at the same price for 4G that I used to pay for 2G I will probably not go looking for small CF cards any more.

I will pay more for speed, not for capacity.
    I found going up the SD Card 2G range Sandisk Ultra, Extreme etc worthwhile with my G9.
    That was a significant increase in price all at 2G size, and a decrease in shot to shot time.

Watch out for the speed/class confusion.
    The new measurement of speed of SD cards is the class.
    Video needs a high write speed and a consistent speed over a long period.
    Still photography can use cards with high burst speed, for a few megabytes (one image) but doesn't need long term high speed.

So a class 6 card for video might not be fast for stills.
    And conversely a high speed card for stills may not be suitable for video - found that out the hard way
    Paul - this really helps - thanks!

I feel the same way about the cards - I would rather have more 2G since I sometimes keep images on the card for a while - until I have time to go through and delete some.

Costco had 2 - 4GB SDHC cards for $37 - or 4 - 2GB SD cards for $27. I would prefer the 4 - 2GB for reasons above.

I just check the E-P1 - it can use SD or SDHC........for video (as you mentioned) it needs Class 6 cards. I won't be using the video for now - at least until I get through the first part of the learning curve - it's a big one from Canon dslr/p&s to Olympus micro 4/3.

What would your advice be here? From what you're saying, the 4GB won't make the camera speed any faster........so I'm assuming the 2GB will work just as well on the E-P1 as the 4GB except I need 6 for video. Do I have it right?

Thanks! I'm sort of "technically challenged" and appreciate all your help.

Hopefully tomorrow I will have a chance to try the E-P1. After it was fully charged today, the sun went down - and the kit lens is slow......I just ordered the flash for the few indoor shots I might need. If I like the camera, I'll eventually get a faster lens. Big price difference for the flash - B&H has them for $199 - and J&R for $99.......no tax or shipping.

Liz

I'm assuming the 2GB will work just as well on the E-P1 as the 4GB except I need 6 for video.
    That's my preference for it, 2G over 4G.
    4G won't make it any faster.
    PAul

Thread Information