Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Please can someone help me?

My husband took some photos at my cousins graduation and all of them came out looking like this one. Can someone tell me what went wrong and if these can be fixed?

Thanks

Sports photo junkie jorgemonkey's Avatar

Re: Please can someone help me?

It looks like the camera was set for a slow shutter speed as well as flash. The slow shutter speed is what caused the movement, as well has trying to handhold the camera.

When your flash went off, it froze the motion, and both of them happening at the same time is what caused that effect.
    Nikon Samurai #21

Cameras:
    D700
    D300
    D200
    D2H

Lenses:
    Nikon 35mm F1.8, 35 F2, 50mm F1.8, 70-200 F2.8 VR
    Sigma 150mm F2.8 Macro
    Tokina 12-24 F4
    SB900 & SB800 flashes

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Welcome to the site. Jorgemonkey is right. As far as fixing them... no, there isn't much you can do.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Thanks for the info on what went wrong.

Can the pictures be fixwed at all? And if so then how?

Cant be fixed then? Wow...ok thanks so much for the info.

Unfortunately no these cannot be fixed... the shutter setting was down at 1/3" which is slower then just about anyone can handhold a camera... so as stated before when the flash went off in 1st curtain it created the area that is most bright (at the beginning of the movement) and then as your cousin moved to his left created the trail event. Seeing as you are using a Canon A530 P&S camera I am a little surprised that this did this... but it may have something to do with the "Night Shot" setting... as I am not totally familier with this camera can you tell me if it has a setting for P, Av, Tv, and M? on the rotator dial? If it does then I would do the same shooting (obviously different situation) while in P mode which will make the flash the primary lighting source.
    Ross Mealey of TRJ Photography
    Berkshire Scenic Railway Museum Staff Photographer
    National Press Photographers Assn. Member (NPPA)
    Canon, Sigma, Mamiya, Toyo,and Rodenstock-Sironar

My Railroad Photography

Not-so-recent Nikon Convert livin4lax09's Avatar

i agree, interesting that it did this because the canons usually set the shutter speed fast when using flash.

Quote Originally Posted by livin4lax09
    i agree, interesting that it did this because the canons usually set the shutter speed fast when using flash.
    I think most cameras do this as long as you're in some sort of auto mode. Was the camera accidentally put into manual mode? Too bad it happened here, but this can be an interesting effect in some situations like night clubs, etc. Like any special effect, it can be overused. Sorry, but no way to fix these...

Thread Information