Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Outdoor and Nature Photography Lighting

Even though I have been shooting on and off for many years I never really used a flash. Now I was toying with the idea of using flashes for some fill lighting for some out door shots. Here’s the types of scenes I have in mind. First might be a sunset off a dock at dusk and I would want to softly light the dock and not effect the sky. The second would be a more dramatic night scene where I would want to shoot a quarry and light up some of the machinery against a black sky. Right now I have a Canon 30D and was considering a 580Ex and then a 430ex as a slave. I would want to mount them both off the camera so what else would I need besides the 2 flashes and 2 tripods to make this work? Also what kind of diffusers (if any) work well? Thanks for any help.

Dave

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

Re: Outdoor and Nature Photography Lighting

You need a triggering device like the ST-E2 or equivalent. I use two 430ex's along with the above mentioned transmitter. Triggering distance may be a problem outdoors (30' to 50' range) as the unit needs a somewhat clear line-of-sight to the flash if there are no reflecting surfaces for the IR signal.

I use two umbrella reflectors/disfusers on light stands but only for indoor work. Even a slight wind would topple them outdoors.
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Loupey
    You need a triggering device like the ST-E2 or equivalent. I use two 430ex's along with the above mentioned transmitter. Triggering distance may be a problem outdoors (30' to 50' range) as the unit needs a somewhat clear line-of-sight to the flash if there are no reflecting surfaces for the IR signal.

I use two umbrella reflectors/disfusers on light stands but only for indoor work. Even a slight wind would topple them outdoors.

Thanks Loupey, I don’t imagine 30-50' being much of an issue but are there devises that use something other the IR that might get me more distance if I needed it. I was thinking umbrellas myself but didn’t think of the wind issue. I’m guessing some tent stakes might help if I were in dirt.

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

If your tripod has a centre column, attach a line to it and use a screw-in dog stake to hold the tripod down.
    I used to use them for towline r/c glider launches and never managed to pull one out of the ground.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Quote Originally Posted by SmartWombat
    If your tripod has a centre column, attach a line to it and use a screw-in dog stake to hold the tripod down.
    I used to use them for towline r/c glider launches and never managed to pull one out of the ground.
    Good idea!

Thread Information