• 12-26-2006, 12:09 PM
    milhouse
    Outdoor and Nature Photography Lighting
    Even though I have been shooting on and off for many years I never really used a flash. Now I was toying with the idea of using flashes for some fill lighting for some out door shots. Hereís the types of scenes I have in mind. First might be a sunset off a dock at dusk and I would want to softly light the dock and not effect the sky. The second would be a more dramatic night scene where I would want to shoot a quarry and light up some of the machinery against a black sky. Right now I have a Canon 30D and was considering a 580Ex and then a 430ex as a slave. I would want to mount them both off the camera so what else would I need besides the 2 flashes and 2 tripods to make this work? Also what kind of diffusers (if any) work well? Thanks for any help.

Dave
  • 12-26-2006, 12:20 PM
    Loupey
    Re: Outdoor and Nature Photography Lighting
    You need a triggering device like the ST-E2 or equivalent. I use two 430ex's along with the above mentioned transmitter. Triggering distance may be a problem outdoors (30' to 50' range) as the unit needs a somewhat clear line-of-sight to the flash if there are no reflecting surfaces for the IR signal.

I use two umbrella reflectors/disfusers on light stands but only for indoor work. Even a slight wind would topple them outdoors.
  • 12-26-2006, 12:43 PM
    milhouse
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Loupey
    You need a triggering device like the ST-E2 or equivalent. I use two 430ex's along with the above mentioned transmitter. Triggering distance may be a problem outdoors (30' to 50' range) as the unit needs a somewhat clear line-of-sight to the flash if there are no reflecting surfaces for the IR signal.

I use two umbrella reflectors/disfusers on light stands but only for indoor work. Even a slight wind would topple them outdoors.

Thanks Loupey, I donít imagine 30-50' being much of an issue but are there devises that use something other the IR that might get me more distance if I needed it. I was thinking umbrellas myself but didnít think of the wind issue. Iím guessing some tent stakes might help if I were in dirt.
  • 12-26-2006, 02:36 PM
    SmartWombat
    If your tripod has a centre column, attach a line to it and use a screw-in dog stake to hold the tripod down.
    I used to use them for towline r/c glider launches and never managed to pull one out of the ground.
  • 12-26-2006, 09:10 PM
    milhouse
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SmartWombat
    If your tripod has a centre column, attach a line to it and use a screw-in dog stake to hold the tripod down.
    I used to use them for towline r/c glider launches and never managed to pull one out of the ground.

Good idea!