Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Spot on brand new filter - question

I just got the polarizing filter I purchased through B&H. I opened it up, and there was quite a bit of dust, which I was surprised. So I got out a lens cleaning cloth and gently brushed away all the dust; however there was one prominent spot that was still there. I looked closer and sure enough it wasn't dust, but not a scratch either.

So I then used my cleaning cloth with a bit more pressure and it did not come off.

So, since I was afraid to use a solution on the filter... mainly because I wasn't sure if a solution would harm any coating, etc. So I called B&H and spoke with someone. And while I *love* B&H and always have and I've ALWAYS had wonderful experiences speaking with their associates, this particular associate told me that a spot on my filter wouldn't affect the picture!!! Huh? Well, since I don't have my camera I couldn't test his bizarre theory... common sense tells me he's mad. Any spot on my lens seems to show its ugly head, so I don't see how this would be any different.

Anyway, I'm wondering if I should return it, or if anyone knows of a way I can clean it. Are solutions safe on polarizing filters? What about water.

Thanks!

Liz

Re: Spot on brand new filter - question

As far as B&H goes, I've done business with them for years, and they are great 99% of the time, but it's that one time that you get someone like the guy who "helped" you! My advice is to ignore him. It's a brand new filter, and you shouldn't have to spend time doing a deep cleaning before you use it.

Obviously, you have two choices - either send it back or take your chances and use lens solution. Personally, I would send it back if I weren't in a hurry to use it. Or......try the lens solution (I wouldn't use anything but cleaning solution made specifically for photo lenses), and a micro cleaning cloth or other specific lens cloth. Be very gentle in the cleaning procedure, and don't press too hard so you don't scratch the glass. If it is "embedded" they have to take it back anyway, but you don't want to make any "cleaning tracks."

Liz

I wouldn't risk scratching the filter. Just return it. It sounds like there is a defect in the filter and if you scratch it in the process of trying to clean it even a company as good as B&H may not take it back.
    We improve ourselves by victories over ourself. There must be contests, and you must win.
    Edward Gibbon

Canon T2i
    Canon EF-S 17-55 f2.8 IS
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 XR Di II
    Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 XR Di
    Canon 24-105 f/4L IS
    Canon 70-200 f/4L USM
    Canon 50mm f/1.4 USM
    Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM
    Canon Speedlight 220EX

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by dmm96452
    I wouldn't risk scratching the filter. Just return it. It sounds like there is a defect in the filter and if you scratch it in the process of trying to clean it even a company as good as B&H may not take it back.
    Good point - I agree, it's your best bet.

Liz

I also agree about returning it. If it's brand new and doesn't wipe off with normal pressure, something isn't right. Just out of curiosity, was it in a sealed package? Any chance it was tampered with or used previously? Do you mind telling us who the manufacturer is? It sounds like a quality issue. I'd like to know because I'm planning to buy one soon.

Thanks,
    Paul

I'm about done with Tiffin.... It was a Tiffen filter. So B&H sent me a replacement and returned the first filter....

This one too was covered in dust, which I don't think it should be in the first place.

Second, on inspection... this one seemed to have a this hairline defect very near the edge. My first thought was, well it's so close to the edge it may not matter... but it's like a crack in a windsheild... is it going to spread? So I'm thinking of returning this as well and maybe trying Hoya?

Lisa
    Feel free to edit and repost any of my images.

That's frustrating. I once ordered MTB wheels from a place online and they arrived with a big ding in the rim. The fourth set I got was finally acceptable, though not perfect. I wanted to strangle somebody.

On the edge it's probably not a big deal, but it might make a small difference on a wide angle lens. I would return it out of principle and buy the Hoya. A new product should be free of defects even if it's not top of the line.

It's easy to get caught up in details when it comes to optics. At some point you just have to accept what you can get and make the best of it. In other words. Don't start thinking you need to buy the B+W to get a good picture.

Good luck,
    Paul

Didn't say anything earlier because it was already covered. You guys were all right because that was my opinion too.

I'd be more worried about that crack causing flare than anything else. If I already had the filter, I'd just be careful of it - and a polarizer usually wouldn't be used with a strong light source like the sun in the frame (more like at about a right angle to it). Still - I'd return it. What if the crack spreads later? It's new and shouldn't have any problems, especially like that. If you don't complain, then they won't know, either!

B+W makes really nice filters, but I've been very happy with Hoya - specifically SMC and HMC. Much lower in price, too.

Liz

Lisa,

I have used Hoya filters for a long time. They're excellent IMO - never had a problem with any of them.

Liz

thanks all.... I think I'm returning the second one as well and either getting a Hoya or heading over to Hunts and buying something I can look at before I buy.
    Feel free to edit and repost any of my images.

Thread Information