Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Question in regard to filters...

Hi guys, I have some of the basic filters left over from my Rebel 2000. ( NDx4, CPL, CS, Skylight, UV, etc.) They just happen to be 58mm which is the same size my digi cam takes. (Sony f717) My question is this. Do photographers usually use filters with digital cameras. I read somewhere that they interfere with the way digitals focus. I was also told not to keep the skylight on my digital for protection like I did my SLR. I'm getting ready to go on a trip and don't want to come home with all soft pics from using the filters, so any suggestions would be appreciated. Do they it interfere with the way digitals focus? I especially liked using the polarizer and ND with my SLR and would love to continue with my digital unless its a no-no.
    Thanks, Kit

You can use these filters on a digital camera. I've never heard of or had a problem, but you should probably try it out before you go just to be sure. The CPL and ND would be most useful of the group (what's a CS?) - the effect of these two can't be replicated in Photoshop.

UV and skylight filters are usually used for protection - some people believe in them, some don't. If your camera is on auto white balance, then it will neutralize the effect of a skylight filter so it's basically going to do the same thing as a UV filter.

Another...

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    You can use these filters on a digital camera. I've never heard of or had a problem, but you should probably try it out before you go just to be sure. The CPL and ND would be most useful of the group (what's a CS?) - the effect of these two can't be replicated in Photoshop.

UV and skylight filters are usually used for protection - some people believe in them, some don't. If your camera is on auto white balance, then it will neutralize the effect of a skylight filter so it's basically going to do the same thing as a UV filter.
    Gee, thanks for anwering so quickly. I take a lot of pics at the beach, so I just wanted to keep the skylight on for protection but don't want it to mess with my white balance. I do change the white balance quite frequently and use cards so maybe not a good idea. I'm not even sure what the uv actually does so I'll just forget it. I'm thrilled to know that I can still use the CPL and ND as I have tried to do it in ps but it looks hokey. BTW the CS is just that Star filter for starlike effects with light. lol I'm sure it would work. I would have just tried the filters out to check but the problem is that the camera is so new to me that I wouldn't know how the pics normally would look. Whenever I try to do a test, I always forget which is which..lol Kind of a scatterbrain photographer..heh
    Thanks so much,
    ~ Kit

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

CS = Cross Screen = Star filter...

Steve,

Cool photogs call a star filter by its real name: cross screen filter...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Thread Information