Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

nikon lens manual needed...28-105

Hi all. With help from fellow photog.reviewers, I bought a used Nikon 28-105 f3.5-4.5D AF Zoom lens. Seems to be a great lens for my N70. I am taking several classes and decided to take the camera out for macro flower shots but had some trouble with the macro settings. Can someone help a noobie out and supply a manual for this lens? Thanks, julie

learning member

Re: nikon lens manual needed...28-105

You can probably get one for about 10 bucks at keh.com. plus shipping.
    However, you should be able to go to youre local camera shop and get all the info you need, or find someone who ownns one where you live, or ask specific questions here, people are always willing to help and its probabbly not that complicated.
    Mark.

I've got that lens. The only thing I can think of that's not intuitive is how the macro mode works. To be able to switch in and out of macro mode (switch on the barrel), the focal length has to be over (I think) 50mm. You can double check this because there's an orange ring around the focusing ring that goes from 105mm down to whatever that stopping point is - again I think it's 50mm.

You may have to put it to the minimum focus distance too for the switch to move. Try it and let me know if it doesn't work - I don't have the lens in front of me right now... Or any other questions. BTW, it works pretty well without a hood but I still use one. The HB-18 hood for it is huge though.

yep, that did it. 50mm was the length. What is my min distance and any other hints on macro? I've never taken macro photos on a 35mm only digital. I'll check KEH if I need a complete manual, thanks everyone for the help. -julie

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    I've got that lens. The only thing I can think of that's not intuitive is how the macro mode works. To be able to switch in and out of macro mode (switch on the barrel), the focal length has to be over (I think) 50mm. You can double check this because there's an orange ring around the focusing ring that goes from 105mm down to whatever that stopping point is - again I think it's 50mm.

You may have to put it to the minimum focus distance too for the switch to move. Try it and let me know if it doesn't work - I don't have the lens in front of me right now... Or any other questions. BTW, it works pretty well without a hood but I still use one. The HB-18 hood for it is huge though.

Once again, don't have the lens in front of me, but...

In "normal" mode, minimum focus distance (MFD) is about a foot or so. When you're in macro, you can get a couple of inches from the subject. Zoom out to 105mm and you'll be about half life size. That's not bad for a lens like this, and it's pretty sharp. This lens is great for flare control too.

Thread Information