Nikon Import vs USA

Printable View

• 08-31-2008, 04:50 AM
    shootme
    Nikon Import vs USA
    Despite price and maybe the lack of warranty, can anyone tell me the difference between and import Nikon or a USA model? Thanks
  • 08-31-2008, 07:35 AM
    jorgemonkey
    Re: Nikon Import vs USA
    I think thats pretty much it.

Also from what I understand Nikon won't fix an imported version. I may be wrong on that though, since I don't have any Imported equipment and have never tried to get one fixed.
  • 08-31-2008, 08:18 AM
    gryphonslair99
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jorgemonkey
    I think thats pretty much it.

Also from what I understand Nikon won't fix an imported version. I may be wrong on that though, since I don't have any Imported equipment and have never tried to get one fixed.

Nikon will fix it. But you have to ship it to customer service in Japan. Not the most convenient or cheapest thing to do.
  • 08-31-2008, 09:23 AM
    shootme
    Great thanks for letting me know. Cheers
  • 08-31-2008, 09:48 AM
    Grandpaw
    Not sure but the manual and the menus on the camera may not be in English, Jeff
  • 08-31-2008, 10:55 AM
    mn shutterbug
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Grandpaw
    Not sure but the manual and the menus on the camera may not be in English, Jeff

That would not be good.:eek:
  • 09-01-2008, 04:27 PM
    freygr
    The gray market version from B&H Photo is warranted by B&H Photo and most likely the same with the Adorama Camera. I wouldn't have second thoughts purchasing from these two companies but other companies not with a 10 foot pole!
  • 09-02-2008, 08:41 AM
    another view
    I've always bought USA Nikon stuff, and would especially do it with VR lenses and digital cameras. With something like a prime lens that doesn't have VR, there isn't much to go wrong and I might take the chance. Basically, you're gambling on whether or not you'll have a problem with it that will require Nikon service.

Instructions in foreign languages, lack of batteries, etc are other things that have been brought up in the past as possibilities with gray market items.
  • 11-03-2009, 08:06 AM
    Raithius
    Is it true that the import model has no magnesium skeleton?
  • 11-03-2009, 01:13 PM
    freygr
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Raithius
    Is it true that the import model has no magnesium skeleton?

Only if it was not made by Nikon. They come of the same production lines. Nikon USA has the exclusive rights to sell Nikon in the USA and they will not do warranty work on them but they will repair them for a price.
  • 11-05-2009, 10:47 PM
    byjamesderuvoDHQ
    From what I've read, an international warranty simply isn't available. So it stands to reason that when in Rome, do what the Romans do.