Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Which Camera Should I Pick?

I'm looking to buy a new camera and I narrowed down my choices. Which one would you pick and why? Thanks

Olympus E-620

Canon EOS Rebel T1i

Nikon D5000

:thumbsup:

Re: Which Camera Should I Pick?

They are all capable of taking an excellent image so you need to check each out for feel and features that match your needs. Basic impressions of an outsider of these three (I use Sony):

Olympus - Small, light with excellent, cheaper lenses available. For many, the size/weight means that it is with them rather than sitting at home.

Canon - Excellent all-rounder with the features that most want.

Nikon - Very nice camera from the current leader with the multi-position LCD making live view really usable. Down side= no in-body AF motor which means a lot of good value used lenses won't AF.

TF
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

All are excellent products. All are quite probably capable of more than the person behind them, not just you but 99.9% of everybody. Canon and Nikon have the largest "systems" and more widespread availability. Once you choose one, you will be pretty much locked into that system as they are not interchangeable

I use Canon, primarily because I have for 25 or 30 years. Nikon is just as good. "CanIkon" are the leaders and their lead swaps back and forth yearly and sometimes sooner. The Olys are smaller, the Oly lenses are essentially second to none and their bodies are excellent.

If possible, spend some time in a camera shop that will let you hold and use each camera. One may feel "better" in your hands. And what feels "natural" in my hands, Canon, may be so awkward to you it's unusable. Or the differences may be so subtle that it's a "pick-um"

Just remember. ALL are good. There ARE NO bad ones among the majors. Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Pentax, Sony will all give you excellent results and you will be hard pressed to be disappointed with any of them.

Get the Canon;-)

JMNSHO &, of course, YMMV
    The world is full of people who can hear a loud bang, feel a sharp pain in their foot, notice smoke trickling from their holster........ And never put it all together.

Canon EOS Rebel XT DSLR; Canon EOS Rebel K2 35 mm SLR, Canon Powershot S5IS Compact; Canon Photura 35 mm P&S (Definitely not compact. Probably the best 35 P&S ever)

Quote Originally Posted by photoeyejersey
    I'm looking to buy a new camera and I narrowed down my choices. Which one would you pick and why? Thanks

Olympus E-620

Canon EOS Rebel T1i

Nikon D5000

:thumbsup:
    All are good cameras, I was thinking about upgrading to the D5000 but it's like the D40 & 60, no body AF motor I would have by two new lenses which would be more costly than the camera body!

But if you don't have any lenses it doesn't mater, but I do like the Olympus or the Nikon over the Canon, but that is just me.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

I think when all is said and done, Nikon has the edge because of the legacy lens support of Nikkor lenses. But just by a hair.

Quote Originally Posted by byjamesderuvoDHQ
    I think when all is said and done, Nikon has the edge because of the legacy lens support of Nikkor lenses. But just by a hair.
    Except that the 5000 will not AF these lenses, correct? - TF
    -----------------
    -----------------
    -----------------

For Nikon lens compatibility check the link, and yes OldClicker your are correct and there is another factor, the camera's light meter will not meter so you need a light meter and use the lenses only in full manual mode, but Canon is the same as the Nikon is this mater also. The Olympus doesn't have this problem as there are not any old lenses for that camera. link: http://www.nikonians.org/nikon/slr-lens.html
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Quote Originally Posted by freygr
    For Nikon lens compatibility check the link, and yes OldClicker your are correct and there is another factor, the camera's light meter will not meter so you need a light meter and use the lenses only in full manual mode, but Canon is the same as the Nikon is this mater also. The Olympus doesn't have this problem as there are not any old lenses for that camera. link: http://www.nikonians.org/nikon/slr-lens.html
    Can I throw in a plug for Sony/Minolta? Full use of lenses from 1985 on. - TF
    -----------------
    -----------------
    -----------------

Thread Information