Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.
    plain path

macro friendly tripod?

Looking to purchase a tripod that is extremely dependable, strong and lends itself to low-to-the-ground close-up work. The weight for now would be digital slr with fairly heavy lenses since I would like to experiment with the af-s 70-200 f/2.8 and extention tubes. Also would possibly be using medium format some time in future. One tripod that seems to be held in high regard is the Unilock with a ball head. Would appreciate any advice based on first hand experience. Please specify your choice of head as well.

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: macro friendly tripod?

My tripod of choice is the Bogen 3021 BPro w/ 488RC2 ballhead. You can take the center column out so it goes very low to the ground. You can also place the center column horizontally on top of the tripod for some extra options. If you wanted to, you could even put the center column in upside down so your camera is hanging down below.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

plain path

Thanks michael for the input, and especially for the link. Oh, and the monument valley pic in ur gallery is fine fine fine.

Thanks for taking the time to look and comment on the pics in the gallery. I wish I had more time in Monument Valley, but we were just driving past, and the light was perfect, so we stopped for a few shots.

As far as tripods go, I have heard a few people on the forums here talking about Bembo (sp) tripods. They love how manuverable they are. You may want to consider looking at them as well. I have never used one, or even seen one in person, so I don't know anything about them, other than what people have said here.

As far as my tripod goes, I have put my DRebel w/ battery grip, 170-500mm Sigma lens, along with a couple rice bags (a 2 pound bag, and a 5 pound bag) and the weight wasn't a problem. I'm sure it could handle a MF setup if that's where you're going sometime down the road.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

plain path

I spend a great deal of time in the San Raphael area west of the Green and Colorado confluence. It is my favorite part of the US. I've about settled on the 488RC2 ball head and im leanin toward the manfrotto 055MF3 tripod, but still lookin!

That looks like a pretty nice set up. It looks like the 055MF3 has the same set up as the 3021BPro for converting the center column to a lateral position.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

the other type of tripod that is particularly good for macro is the benbo. they have the most amazing range of camera positions which is great for field macro work. the other thing that helps with macro is getting a device called a macro slider (which is basically a geared plate that bolts onto your tripod and holds your camera and allows for very fine forwards and backwards movement. these are available from several manufacturers including manfrotto

Like Skyman said, it's Benbo.

Like Michael said, I've never used one either but I have seen them before. They don't look as sturdy or stiff as a traditional three-leg tripod where you have the center column as short as possible. It's just physics (or whatever it is!) that a single pipe can't be that stiff, and a 70-200 f2.8 or MF camera will be very heavy.

I'd try out a Benbo with the 70-200 f2.8 setup, and see if it gives you acceptably sharp images for fairly long shutter speeds. With macro, you'll usually use a fairly small aperture which results in longer shutter speeds.

Check out the Lowpod on this page for another idea, and it will definately be very sturdy.

plain path

I agree that the 70-200 f/2.8 represents alot of weight especially extended horizontal. My primary objective is to secure a tripod that will without a doubt handle such a set up. The lowpod is interesting and would no doubt be outstanding on fairly flat terrain.

Anyway, thankyou for each of your responses. I am grateful for any and all advice you care to offer.

Dwight

Check out our D300 Pro Review! deckcadet's Avatar

I've owned the 055MF3 and it is a great tripod overall. Its best point is the moving column, though offerings from say Giottos are more versatile in this regard, though quality of certain parts is not assured. My 055MF3 was fantastic, easy to use, light, and steady, but I sold it because I found the column (or even just the platform) was not gripped tightly enough by that locking mechanism when shooting with big lenses, though this was 300mm f/2.8/200mm f/2.0 size, which are about 6.5-7lbs each plus a body.

Overall, it is very nice.
    Harrison
    Nikon Forum / Digital SLR Forum Moderator | moderator bio
    Check out our new Nikon D300 Pro Review D3 review coming soon...
    Nikon Samurai #9 | NPS Member
    10 Lenses • 5 Bodies • 3 Macs • 1 Sore Back

plain path

Deckcadet, so may i ask, what did you replace the 055mf3 with? And does the replacement also have the center column that can be used horizontal?

Check out our D300 Pro Review! deckcadet's Avatar

I replaced the 055MF3 with a much more expesive pod: the Gitzo G1329 Mk2 CF tripod, which does not have a horizontal column option. Sells for over $600.
    Harrison
    Nikon Forum / Digital SLR Forum Moderator | moderator bio
    Check out our new Nikon D300 Pro Review D3 review coming soon...
    Nikon Samurai #9 | NPS Member
    10 Lenses • 5 Bodies • 3 Macs • 1 Sore Back

Poster Formerly Known as Michael Fanelli mwfanelli's Avatar

Forget The Bembo!

Forget the Bembo. They still suffer from extreme drifting problems that have never been fixed. Your camera equipment will never be able to use them. Believe me, I was the sad owner of two of them.

The Uni-Loc you suggested is much, much better. When the guys who designed the Bembo sold off the company, they kept ownership of the patents Their Uni-Loc tripods are Bembos that actually work right. No drifting at all, fold up and carry better, and do the same things that Bembo does without the problems. I have had a Uni-Loc tripod from the start of the company: beat up, dented, paint scratched off, but still working fine. I use a Kirk Ballhead on it. Excellent for macros and tight weird places.
    "Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." --Mark Twain

plain path

mwfanelli, is there anywhere in the U.S. to purchase a uni-loc? I've searched everywhere and haven't found anyone that sells them.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by vagabond-1
    mwfanelli, is there anywhere in the U.S. to purchase a uni-loc? I've searched everywhere and haven't found anyone that sells them.
    Not Michael but here's a whole google page on them......go about 1/2 way down and there are some links for macro

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search

Good luck!

Liz

I went to Google and typed in "uni-loc". There are quite a few US and Canadian retailers listed.

I know that B&H used to carry them, you might want to give them a call as well to see if they still do. Not everything is listed.
    "Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." --Mark Twain

plain path

thankyou Liz and Michael, I really did call myself looking hard for a retailer here in the U.S. B&H is about the only folks I deal with and I didnt see it in their inventory, but I'll give em a call like you said.
    dwight

Liz

thankyou Liz and Michael, I really did call myself looking hard for a retailer here in the U.S. B&H is about the only folks I deal with and I didnt see it in their inventory, but I'll give em a call like you said.
    dwight
    Yes, call them. Sometimes different things are hard to find on their website - and sometimes there are items "missing" as I've discovered. It would be worth a shot.

Liz

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

Hi, Vagabond and welcome to PR.

Reading your original question, I might be able to give some relavant experience for you.

I bought a Benbo in the late '80's and it still remains my main tripod. Yeah it can drift on slippery (tile) surfaces if you press down on it. But for actual macro field work (and I have done some of that ) when you are on uneven, natural surfaces, I've never had a drifting problem. And I've used it with my Bronica ETRS medium format camera with 200mm lens with an extension tube in between. I still use it on tile surfaces with my digital SLR for interior work.

If you are serious about macro work, the Benbo (or Uni-Loc) can't be beat. In fact, I haven't even looked for another tripod since I bought it so I don't know what else is out there.

I have never used the tripod to mount the camera on the bottom of center column. But I have had the legs in all manner of positions to get low and close.

It may not seem as utterly stable as some others out there. But remember, with proper technique (i.e. never using those "intermediate" shutter speeds between 1/8s to 1/60s, using a cable/remote shutter release, using mirror lockup, etc.), flexibility over brute stability out in the field may be the key to success.
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Loupey
    I bought a Benbo in the late '80's and it still remains my main tripod. Yeah it can drift on slippery (tile) surfaces if you press down on it. But for actual macro field work (and I have done some of that ) when you are on uneven, natural surfaces, I've never had a drifting problem.
    The famous Benbo drifting problem is not in the legs. Even light loads can create too much torque around the axis of the main joint. This causes the camera to drift downward.This severely limits the use and possible positions of the tripod.

Some owners buy new Benbos, take it apart, and add friction parts between the joint. This seems to fix the problem. I just don't see why I have to "fix" a new tripod! The Uni-Loc redesigned the main joint to provide rock solid support at any position with any weight up to the limit published for each tripod.

plain path

Loupey and Michael thanks again for the input. I'm gonna try to find a reputable source for purchasing a uniloc. I'm spoiled to the dependability of B&H. I'm fixin to call them first and see if they carry them although they sure keep it quiet if they do.

Dwight

plain path

Okay guys and gals I found a company here in the U.S. by the name of focuscamera.com that has the Uni-Loc major 16 standard tripod for sale (about $250). Question is are they a reputable company.
    Also does anyone know if a manfrotto 488rc4 ball head would readily mount on this tripod?

plain path

After considerable searching for a dealer in the u.s. that handles uni-loc I've decided to go with manfrotto. Focuscamera handles the uni-loc but it is on "back order". Also I'm not real enthused about their reputation anyway. Ordered the manfrotto 055mf4 and the 488rc4 midiball head from B&H. Thanks again to all for your help.

Dwight

Thread Information