Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.
    Liz

SD vs SDHC - IQ on Tablet question

The Acer A200 Tablet does not have SDHC. When uploading photos from an SDHC card will there be a difference in Image Quality as shown on the A200 Tablet screen?

Thanks.

Liz

Re: SD vs SDHC - IQ on Tablet question

The file is the file. It's the same ones and zeros, whatever memory card you're using.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John View Post
    The file is the file. It's the same ones and zeros, whatever memory card you're using.
    Thanks John!

One More question. I read that the SDHC card reader can read SD cards, but an SD card reader cannot read the SDHC cards.

The A200 has a micro SD slot and a USB port. I assume I cannot use the SD slot with an SDHC card as it cannot read it.

BUT, if I use the USB port with an SDHC card and SDHC card reader, I should be able to view the images. Is this correct? And...there is nothing in the Tablet that will prevent this???

I am asking this because I read somewhere that you can't use an SDHC card with the A200. I hope they do not mean the viewing of images from an USB port..

I hope this all makes sense.

I forgot to mention that I am a bit "technically challenged" and getting more behind with all the new technology lately.

Liz

Uploading how? Do you mean putting an SDHC card in an SD (not SDHC) slot? I don't think the device will recognize the card.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by wfooshee View Post
    Uploading how? Do you mean putting an SDHC card in an SD (not SDHC) slot? I don't think the device will recognize the card.
    Whoops! I edited the above post. Here is what I am trying to do. I hope the explanation of my question makes sense!

Here is the edited post above - copy/paste.

One More question. I read that the SDHC card reader can read SD cards, but an SD card reader cannot read the SDHC cards.

The A200 has a micro SD slot and a USB port. I assume I cannot use the SD slot with an SDHC card as it cannot read it.

BUT, if I use the USB port with an SDHC card and SDHC card reader, I should be able to view the images. Is this correct? And...there is nothing in the Tablet that will prevent this???

I am asking this because I read somewhere that you can't use an SDHC card with the A200. I hope they did not mean for the viewing of images or uploading them using a USB port.

I hope this all makes sense.

I forgot to mention that I am a bit "technically challenged" and getting more behind with all the new technology lately.

Oh, look!! Information!!!! Makes answering questions easier.

If the USB reader is SDHC-capable, you have no worries. The "You can't use SDHC cards" refers to the built-in SD slot.

According to Acer's web site, the slot in the tablet is microSDHC, good for up to 32-GB cards. It would have to be HC to use cards higher than 1GB. You obviously can't use a full-size SDHC card, it won't fit the micro slot!

You want to plug a USB SDHC card reader into your tablet so that you can transfer files from the reader to the tablet, rather than plugging the tablet into a PC so that you can upload files to the tablet.

This function is called "USB Host". Your A200 seems to have a standard USB Host connection so you just plug your card reader into it and see if it thinks it has a new disk
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

SD card only supports up to 2 gig, SDHC card supports 2 gig and up, I do not know the limit. But the SDHC card slots will read/write SD cards without any problems. The only problems is if the formatted cards file system is not supported by the computers OS (needs a driver).
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Liz

Thanks everyone! I appreciate all the information. This has been a learning experience for me.

I had planned on purchasing the Acer Iconia A200, but chose the ASUS 16GB Eee Pad Transformer Tablet for many reasons. One thing I really like is the display which includes an IPS panel - it is so bright and clear - at all angles. It is on sale at B&H for $349 (same price as the Acer A200 but has many more features). It also has and great reviews.

Copy/paste from B&H website - some of the reasons I purchased it.

The EeePad features an Android 3.2 Honeycomb operating system as well, which is even upgradable to Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich. The tablet is powered by an NVIDIA Tegra 2 dual-core processor that affords ultra-fast web browsing, quicker response time and more efficient multi-tasking performance. The Transformer also has an optional keyboard docking station that can be attached, providing access to a full QWERTY keyboard - transforming it from tablet to notebook.
    The docking station will work for me because I need to use it for work at times. It also includes a USB port and Micro USB; an SD and micro SD slot. And it charges the Tablet while you are using it. B&H is selling the docking station for $116. Best Buy sells is for $150.

At any rate, thanks! I'll probably be back again with more questions after I open the box which will arrive tomorrow.

Liz

Thread Information